Bottom Bashing Gear, Help!

Nicko19

Hey guys,

i do a fair bit of bottom reef fishing, from Perth waters to canarvon waters chasing pinkies, baldies, red emperor etc and the occasional troll for mackies and tuna. I'm looking for a seriouse upgrade from a 1980s penn senator! I have done a fair bit of research and I think I'm leaning on the shimano Talica 12 single speed for my fishing application although not sure what rod to pair with, any ideas opinions or hints would be much appriciated as I'm not sure what to go for and if 2 speed applications are nessesary for the type of fishing I do. What are your opinions on the Talica for my fishing knowing I like to bottom bash 90% of the time as well as having a troll now an again, one rod and reel combo would awesome! Also some info with 2 speed reels and weather it's nessesary would be much appriciated! Thanks guys!

•  

Hi Nicko,

i have a Talica 12 single speed and find it fantastic reel. The 2 speeds are more expensive and you have decide whether the extra cost is worth it. I had a 2 speed TLD 30 for many years and only once had to put it into low gear. So i was happy to go for the single this time around.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives for reef fishing in the spin reels like the Fin-or range and hold plenty of line.

If you like using high end reels the Talica is beautiful to use.

Awesome thanks for the response! Yeah I was worried the 2 speed would just be to much for me, in the end of the day bottom bashing we don't want to be holding to much weight all day and want a smooth reel something that doesn't wobble to much an has great balance maybe even the Talica 12 is to big ? Might be worth looking at the 10 although I'm going to loose a little crank speed and loose a little drag but maybe not that noticeable! Well I'm glad I'm looking at the right reel anyway! Thanks mate! 

Gday mate.i have an Accurate slammer. Its the ducks guts for bottom work. Compact and the torque from the reel is pretty incredible. It has a large handle thats super comfortable to use. I use it for jigging, BB, trolling. Can highly recommend them. Also the Jigging Master reels are pretty sick. My brother uses one for the same application and loves it. 

Cheers

Tim

Hi mate ive only heard good things with the Talicas. But have never personally used one. I thought they were more a light game reel more then a deepwater reel. It would be the reel i would buy if i was light tackle trolling for pelagics. I would imagine the Accurates and JMs would have stronger gear due to the fact they are dedicated jigging reels. Give Duncan from Fishhead a buzz. He put me onto the Accurate and i would love to own a few more. Match to a light powerfull jig rod and youll set! 

On a side note I bought my Tilica for light game and the occasional time i will use it for deep water bait fishing. only had it one season and it had some big sharks and Spanish Macs on it and it performed excellently. Bearing in mind it replaced a TLD30 2 speed.

The Accurates are highly rated by fishos that have them and I wouldn't mind one down the track myself. 

Tim looks you need a new rod, the one in the photo has all the runners misaligned:fishing2:

My son has a Terez and likes it a lot. IMO For the price they are a very good rod and good value. There is better but it's quite a jump up in price to go better. 

I like the Tcurve range but I would stay clear of the backbone range. 

You're looking at some very nice gear and pairing them with any of the options you have thrown up should see you knock over some trophy fish. 

Might be worth having a look at the Saltiga LD reels also if you can pick one up at the right price. Been a great reel for deepwater jigging and no issues trolling.  Some of the Majorcraft and Saltist Hyper rods are good value in the PE2-4 range also if you get a chance to have a look at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nicko, I fish in the same area as you, I purshaced a Diawa tanacom 1000 electric reel, for my wife, I use it when she not on the boat, make life real easy , when checking your rig for bait, the drag is good & speed of retrieving beets the shark, I am only a rec fisher, you maybe able to get my email address, of my profile, if you need any more info, there about $au600 throu the right outlets, cheers Donnyboat.

Archived