What Size Rod?

AZZA 46

All depends on your target fish but I can recommend Diawa Surf rods for general purpose. Well priced and come in a good range of lengths and line weights. Generally Rock and surf rods are 12 foot. The Sensor Wave surf rod series are designed as a great all-round lightweight surf rod series, perfect for fishing from rocky shores, beaches or piers with lures or bait.

Yes there are still a lot of variables there. I fish the rocks a lot but use a lot of different set ups for light plastics, heavy plastics, stick baits, chromes/metals and more. And every now and again even a big old school bait set up.

What sort of rocks, what sort of fish, what sort of fishing?

Angus

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, collvan said:

All depends on your target fish but I can recommend Diawa Surf rods for general purpose. Well priced and come in a good range of lengths and line weights. Generally Rock and surf rods are 12 foot. The Sensor Wave surf rod series are designed as a great all-round lightweight surf rod series, perfect for fishing from rocky shores, beaches or piers with lures or bait.

thnx mate

was thinking targeting snapper, tailor, salmon around the rocks off Ulladulla.

was looking at one rod to do both rock and beach, but im thinking 9 ft for rocks for versatility for bait and lure fishing, and 12 ft rod for beach fishing. what your thoughts on this?

any thoughts on baitrunner reels?

cheers

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, Angus said:

Yes there are still a lot of variables there. I fish the rocks a lot but use a lot of different set ups for light plastics, heavy plastics, stick baits, chromes/metals and more. And every now and again even a big old school bait set up.

What sort of rocks, what sort of fish, what sort of fishing?

Angus

thnx mate, thinking of targeting snapper, tailor or salmon. was looking for one rod to do both, but thinking of going 9ft for rocks with bait and lures and 12 ft for the beach. your thoughts?

30 minutes ago, AZZA 46 said:

thnx mate, thinking of targeting snapper, tailor or salmon. was looking for one rod to do both, but thinking of going 9ft for rocks with bait and lures and 12 ft for the beach. your thoughts?

If you want a long cast yes the lengths are fine. Once again very different species and thus variables. Snapper are likely to be hugging structure and deep where tailor and salmon (assuming you mean Aussie salmon???) Are pelagics and better to cast out to them (retrieving a slug would be my pick). 

Archived