Fishing PNG.......

Schilling

Hey all.... Heading to Kavieng, Small island town of New Ireland province located in the far north east of PNG. Heading up with the girlfriend to vist her mothers small coastal village.

Was just curious to see what sort of fishing gear you all think i should take with me??? Its all very tropical with white sandy beaches, coral reefs which drop off real deep right in close!! Apparently from what i'm told the tuna go wild rounding bait fish up in close and on occasion jump right up onto the exposed coral at low tide??!!! fingers crossed!!!! hahaha Its very rustic only dug out canoes to get out deep soo most fishing will be off the beach, coral out crops and headlands?

Was thinking of poppers, metal slugs and soft plastics??? What type of rod & reel combos? line weights etc??? What species do you think i might run into?? No ideas yet? Any help or advice from people who have fished these sorts of places would be great!!!! Very pumped.... escape the Australian winter for some tropical island fishing!!!

Schilling you will have a blast, i grew up on Bougainville Island which is part of PNG spent 15 years of my life there, if i could take 1 lure it would be a Rapala CD 14 in slimy mackeral colour this lure trolled from a canoe along the coral drop off will get spanish mackeral to coral trout. and yes i have fished out of these canoes before with my village freinds who used handlines and skirted lures made from rice bags to catch pelagics (quite an experience). anyway have fun over there and learn as much as you can from the locals fishing methods.

Archived