nrl 2024

ellicat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for setting up for 2024, e'cat.... I think I'm all signed up... and rearing to go.

The way last season turned out, this season is looking very interesting.... the clubs that were in freefall last season appear to be heading in that same direction this time around...
The clubs that started heading up last season appear to have strengthened their rosters and their next generation players have another NRL season's experience to build on.... except the Sharks, their fans have already added and turned on an extra porch light in hope of a 2nd coming in their lifetime....

With more depth, younger players given their chance and last season's experience.
I, like others, am expecting a more consistant run for the Dolphins.

well, here we go again... I think.
is it just me, or has the NRL's build up for 2024 Round 1 season opening kick off (on home soil) been nothing short of pathetic.... anyway.
Good tipping every one, and enjoy the opening 2 games on a narrower and shortened field, Las Vegas style.... 
Oh by the way, this NRL's spiel about expanding the game to the US is unpicked up doggy poo... it's solely about getting into to the US's betting markets.. just saying, it must be the cynic in me.

The draw I have put up is the only compatible one I could find... please check the details and Qld times for kick offs

ROUND 1

SUNDAY MARCH 3

Sea Eagles vs. Rabbitohs Allegiant Stadium 1:30pm AEST

Roosters vs. Broncos Allegiant Stadium 3:30pm AEST

THURSDAY MARCH 7

Knights vs. Raiders McDonald Jones Stadium 7:00pm AEST

FRIDAY MARCH 8

Warriors vs. Sharks Go Media Stadium 5:00pm AEST

Storm vs. Panthers AAMI Park 7:05pm AEST

SATURDAY MARCH 9

Eels vs. Bulldogs Commbank Stadium 4:30pm AEST

Titans vs. Dragons Cbus Super Stadium 6:35pm AEST

SUNDAY MARCH 10

Dolphins vs. Cowboys Suncorp Stadium 3:05pm AEST

Byes: Tigers

Edited by ellicat
corrected times to Qld times (AEST)

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Not as tough as Roosters in Vegas. 🤪🤣

I genuinely think last year was our chance gone begging. Premiership window is closing fast.

Few things bringing us back to the pack:

• Reynolds not getting any younger - I would say we are just barely managing his  age decline. Prime Reynolds is over which will mean Mann needs to step up.
  • Flegler / Pakasia / Capewell is a huge loss in depth which we haven't replaced. (Fletcher Baker or not)
  • The big one and most underated was Herbie. Genuine metre eater, yardage.
  • Teams know and have figured our Bronx are 1 trick Reece show. Need likes of Cobbo / Staggs to be threats otherwise Broncos attack is too predictable (pass it to Reece). It might be effective week to week, but in the finals when all the plays have been exposed. Defence coordinators can commit to planning a counter.

I think Bronx are being overhyped this year. They will make the 8 but I think the team they had on the park last year was better.

I agree there are negatives that you identified above. However, I still have them as premiers for this year, subject to injuries and other unforeseens. Capewell's departure will be hard to remedy along with Flegler. A lot of experience lost. The replacements need to step up. They have been around/inside the club for a while.

Farnworth was great last year, but Cobbo is a big body with potential once he settles into the role.

Hard to stop Walsh's speed of foot and mind.

Roosters played as well as I have seen them for a few years and luck didn’t follow the Broncos. Seems like the way to beat them is to get off to a hot start and play up tempo football. They still get a bit rattled when they aren’t controlling the pace of the game. Early days yet. Plenty of feeling in that match should make for an interesting rematch, especially if the grub (Hargreaves) is not suspended at the time. 

Roosters played well and deserved to win but I reckon if they lose a second rower in the 4th minute instead of us the result probably reverses. Caused us a lot more fatigue, particularly given it’s the first round, plus decreased Carrigan’s influence on the game (better at lock). 
Broncos were last year and still probably are this year the best attacking team so it’s probably no surprise they struggled a bit on a narrower field. Although they definitely were sloppy at times. Fatigue and new combos can be an excuse for some of it. Cobbo needs to get better at choosing when to try to run around them down the wing. They’re also going to need him to up his work rate and help them at the start of sets - no point having a big body at centre if he doesn’t. 
I’ve still got them as favourites but I am admittedly biased … 🤪

Who'd of thought the Dragons would step it up, I thought the Titans showed some good quality last year, thought they may have shown up strong after the off season... boy, was I wrong there. Same as the Panthers, Storm is one of my favourites teams but I figured the Panthers have been unstoppable for the last few years, wow, not sure if they even left Sydney for the trip to Melbourne. 

Going to be an interesting year if the first round of upsets is anything to go by. 

Nrl Judicary.

Interesting verdict.

When I went to school many years ago, I had an Aborigine friend & his name was Blackie. So he was called by his name.

I also had a Russian friend, his name was Egor, But we called him Rush.

My nickmame was Mex after Mexican. Because I always had a dark tan from swimming.

You will like this one.

My Grandfather called me Monkey, because I climmed trees, like we all did when we were young.

Times change.

Wake up NRL.

Cheers.