Anzac Day 2024 - Redcliffe to the Pine

mangajack

Dohles was ok...Deckie dropped me off at the pontoon, I reversed down without waiting and deckie drove on and we were off the ramp in under a minute.

There were 4 boats being tied down and about 6 boats arrived at the ramp just after I pulled out....it would have been busier then.

Dohles ramp is pretty good being 3 lanes.....trailer parking is limited to about 30 trailers i guess...sorry 25 trailer parks....i just checked on google earth pro.  Best thing about it is there is a cafe that does great coffee at the ramp that opens at 5.30am every day.

One thing of note Raef and I have noticed lately....flathead have become a pretty scarce for us capture in the last 18 months....areas we normally can't avoid them are now pretty much flathead free zones.

One section in the pine we fished today has always been a flathead area as far back as I can remember (50 odd years of fishing this stretch) and yet today and the last 4 visits there have not produced a single flathead.....the norm was 6 to 10 flathead there.

I have noticed the same thing in the Bris River, Cabo River and Ningi Creek....hot spots gone dead.

Anyone else noticed this since the 2011 and 2013 floods?

41 minutes ago, mangajack said:

One thing of note Raef and I have noticed lately....flathead have become a pretty scarce for us capture in the last 18 months....areas we normally can't avoid them are now pretty much flathead free zones.

One section in the pine we fished today has always been a flathead area as far back as I can remember (50 odd years of fishing this stretch) and yet today and the last 4 visits there have not produced a single flathead.....the norm was 6 to 10 flathead there.

I have noticed the same thing in the Bris River, Cabo River and Ningi Creek....hot spots gone dead.

Anyone else noticed this since the 2011 and 2013 floods?

I find there’s lots of flathead in the Brisbane River in winter months but I think this coincides with breeding.

11 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Yes my flathead spots have been very quiet for the last couple of years .

imo the waters been way too hot for them . 

I am leaning towards too many flushes or floods in the 13 years since 2011 has altered the habitat and or bait locations and cycles.

We get dusky flathead all along the east coast and deep into the Gulf....so I am not sure it is a temperature change that has them shut down. I used to catch lots in Mackay and the Capricorn Coast when I was there.

2011 saw every worm bed in the Pine River scoured to rock and repeated in 2013....the worm beds returned after 5 or 6 years and things started to normalise...since 2019 we have had reasonable to large flushes recurring randomly in relatively quick succession....some in season, others not.

I think this weather pattern needs a break....we actually need a drought to stabilise the rivers and creeks. Getting heavy flushes 4 times a year is not good year after year.