Squid fishing

Ausswi

hey Guys..gonna take the young fella out after squid on friday nite ,gonna leave from manly,just wondering if the mud flats,and grass beds out from the yauht club would be worth a look,,ill be in a boat,,or would i be better off out by welly point???

• 2 weeks later...

:) So how did you go.

I've been working Redland Bay across a couple of windless nights on the run-up tide last week. I am brand new to squidding and ended up biting the bullet and watched some yound bloves at Victoria point, after a few basic pointers, tips and reassurance and I was all set.

I snared a couple of good size bream and eight nice size squid on the first outing; and lined up with two more good keeper bream and seven squid on the next outing.

I went for a rekke run to Wynnum today - no squid caught but I was searching rather than serious. I'm awaiting to see what the wind is going to do, as I would like to head out and have a crack at Manly tonight. Tis a good tide (Monday 14th June 2010).

My only tip for Manly is to look at the concrete and the ink stains - dead giveaway of someone elses success. Most of the Many Boat harbour would be squid turf from what I have seen. Broken rubble, weed bottom and some light onto the water are good locations

The squid bug has bitten me bad, I went out and bought a dinky size but all the silky bits reel and line that I will leave as a dedicated squidder. New rod will be on the cards soon, my hi modulous graphite ones are a tad stiff for dedicated squdding rigs.

Mudskipper wrote:

:) So how did you go.

I've been working Redland Bay across a couple of windless nights on the run-up tide last week. I am brand new to squidding and ended up biting the bullet and watched some yound bloves at Victoria point, after a few basic pointers, tips and reassurance and I was all set.

I snared a couple of good size bream and eight nice size squid on the first outing; and lined up with two more good keeper bream and seven squid on the next outing.

I went for a rekke run to Wynnum today - no squid caught but I was searching rather than serious. I'm awaiting to see what the wind is going to do, as I would like to head out and have a crack at Manly tonight. Tis a good tide (Monday 14th June 2010).

My only tip for Manly is to look at the concrete and the ink stains - dead giveaway of someone elses success. Most of the Many Boat harbour would be squid turf from what I have seen. Broken rubble, weed bottom and some light onto the water are good locations

The squid bug has bitten me bad, I went out and bought a dinky size but all the silky bits reel and line that I will leave as a dedicated squidder. New rod will be on the cards soon, my hi modulous graphite ones are a tad stiff for dedicated squdding rigs.

In saying that some squidders prefer a stiffer tip in there rod to get a better sensation if the jig and for casting reasons.

Mate sounds like you are nailing it!

Look forward to future reports.

Angus

Archived