Motor wouldn't start, then worked perfectly

haines490slc

When we were heading over to Harry Atkinson's yesterday the weather got a bit nasty, so we just slowly motored up there at low revs for around 10 mins or so, we did a couple of drifts, then decided to leave, went to start the motor (yamaha saltwater series II, 150 HP, 2002 model) and it wouldn't start, waited tried again, and still nothing, then we started to get three little beeps when we turned the ignition. We ended up checking kill switch, tilting up pumping fuel and eventually she go going again, this was after a full day of stopping and starting, and I got home and she started fine when I was flushing her. Does anyone know what it could have been to stop her starting up, got me screwed and was bloody annoying at them time as you can imagine.

might have been the gear actuater sensor iam sure its got one. go out and put it slightly in gear and turn the key does it turn over or not and 3 beps occur you might have slightly bumped the throtle accedently when you were out there and wasnt fully out of gear when ya try to restart it,

or did you turn the motor off while it was accidently in gear still.can you remember?

is the oil bottle under the cowl or in a bottle on the deck. it was ptitty ordinary out there on sat ay. maybe the slish sloshing arond out there airated the oil in the bottle and you got a air lock in the oil feed line. were the beps like bep.bep.bep or beeeep...........beeeeep............beeeeeep these longer sounding beeps are usually sensor errors like the float in the oil resivour iam not a mechanic just talkin from experience from my last oil injection 115 motors 4 yrs ago

the engine will have a MAIN fuse there somewhere, and maybe, just maybe by trimming the motor disturbed it, sounds like you just lost power to the engine so look for a seperate circuit. how about that alarm before starting the motor? did that sound off, if it has 1 ?

It is a 2002 model, with 225 hours on it, I only bought it a while ago and had it serviced at 215 hours, bloody thing! First bit of trouble I have had with it.
so lemme get this straight, you went to start the motor at 1 point , but it wound iver but never fired, waited a while, eg 10 minutes and tried again, and still nothin, just winding over ! trimmed it up and poked around and then poof, she fired up, and ran well ever since? hmmm sounds like what mine did when the cdi unit sh!t. exactly the same, we thought we actually flooded the engine, ohhhhh you werent pushing in the choike were ya ? i know sounds well, yanno but easily done, cos it wont fire up once warm with choke !

nah we didn't use the choke at all, we can't work it out, got it back to the ramp and it started first go every time, then back home, first go when flushing, strange!!!
yep very!cdi's will behave like that, workin then not at all, they control the spark gettin to the coil packs and then onto the plug, but remember what ya did to get it goin , cos ya dont want that happenin at the wrong moment. potential disaster, even if a running engine cuts out all together ! which mine did twice that was enough for me.

this has happened to me and this is a good guess of whats happening to yours... the battery termanals may be dirty. if not... the copper wire that goes into the terminals MAY BE..! every thing in my boat works. but it wouldnt click over at all.. the wire gets realy hot almost to melting point and could have got rid of some of the green corosion in the wire. take the termals off the power and neg leads and spray them with WD40 ruff them up abit to get all the shit out and put them back on and presto.... hope this helps

this has happened to me and this is a good guess of whats happening to yours... the battery termanals may be dirty. if not... the copper wire that goes into the terminals MAY BE..! every thing in my boat works. but it wouldnt click over at all.. the wire gets realy hot almost to melting point and could have got rid of some of the green corosion in the wire. take the termals off the power and neg leads and spray them with WD40 ruff them up abit to get all the shit out and put them back on and presto.... hope this helps
I have only done 10 hrs since install and service, I will get it looked at, have to get the hole where all the wires go relocated anyway, so will have mechanic look over it at the same time.

Archived