4 beacons,,,,

big dave

ok so the swells still quite high so i wasnt to keen to take my boat outside. i get a call from a mate who wants to take his boat to 4 beacons because the bay was like a millpond. im sick of fishing the bay to be honest as every time i go there i catch SFA... but seeing reports on here of late with heaps of mackeral bagging out on snapper and a 32kg cobia at the beacons i thought why not... we get there anchor near the beacons. then do some dirfs ect all we could get were bloody grinners and sharks wtf? any idea what were doing wrong to go home for the last 6 months in the back with no fish? we were floating livies, pillys and bottom bashing pilly cubes, mullet, squid and prawns.. im almost out of options. might just have to stick to heading out the goldie.

make sure their is a good supply of bait at the beacon you fish.

use as little weight as possible.

use as lighter line as possible.

when cubing dont stop at all keep the flow up and it better to mush and then throw the odd cube in.

quite often when the weather is perfect the fish can drop of, not all times but it can have a big affect.

have differand baits in the water with differant rigs on them.

when i live bait in the bay i use a tech i call drop lining. hold the bait in your hand and lower the sinker down to the bottom. when one the bottom chuck your livie or dead bait over. so if its 40ft of water you are in, the the fish was got 40ft circumferance to smil covering more ground.

hope these help you

Dont sweat it man, I was at the beacons on Monday morning @ 330 am swell and wind was s#$@house gave up and went round to Bulwa til 10.30 am and i got nothing either. I sold my 4.5 tinni in Dec to buy a bigger boat so I could fish what I thought would be greener pastures further out in the bay and I haven't caught a leagal fish yet, at least with the tinni I use to get flatties and the occasional size snapper from Scarb and Burp Creek. Maybe we should team up at least we can half our fuel bills that way. :(:angry:

seems like it just wasnt your day!! i have done plentyyyyy of 12hour trips around the bay and caught nudda.

i call it a form slump....... :lol:

its just the luck of the draw......keep persisting but, thats the best advice i can give you as it doesnt sound like your doing anything wrong.....i agree with the comment on the bay not fishing well when its calm.......i have found the most perfect days for boating have been the worst for fishing...

thanks for the advice :) makes me feel a little more like a man knowing im not the only 1 spending my live on the water catching nothing lol... im well over the bay and have been heading outside threw the seaway almost every week. from the seaway to the 36's is the same distance as it is to 4 beacons... and i always have better luck out there lol and the chance of bigger fish i guess im going to hit the seaway tomorrow night after work try and get some thing worth bringing home ill post up the results tomorrow :) wish me luck

Archived