Malpas Dam Trout Armidale/Guyra.

rayke1938

Saw that rainbows and browns are stocked in Malpas Dam near Guyra. Tried to find more about the dam and does not seem to be much info avail. All I could findn is that there is a StKilda fishing club there and its leccy only.

Anyone been there ? What accommodation is avail locally or do you have to stay at Guyra or Armidale?

Not doing a barra or Glenlyon trip this year and thinking of something different.

Cheers

Ray

Drove through Guyra last few times I have been down that way...

The locals were talking of trout and red fin fishing but we only stopped off and I missed the Dam name.

I just dug this up from a Fishing Monthly report:

"MALPAS REDFIN

As a final note, the redfin have been going berserk at Malpas Dam according to some of my sources. Unfortunately this impoundment which provides water to Armidale can be accessed only through contact with the St. Kilda Hotel Fishing Club and, yes, the gate is locked.

Summer usually brings algal blooms which inhibit angling but over Winter the lake is clear and fishes much better. The odd bass and trout also turn up occasionally. Bobbers and the old-style Baltic Minnows work a treat here and in fact are popular throughout all the Tableland lakes.

I have heard of some solid redfin coming from Kentucky Creek, near Uralla, as well as the mid reaches of the Gwydir River. It would seem that while numbers of redfin throughout the region have declined in recent years, if you’re willing to stretch your legs there are some good fish about.

All in all, the next couple of months are shut-down time throughout our region but don’t panic – there are still options if you don’t mind putting on your coat. More next

Month".

Archived