What Reel To Buy....? Need Help In Making The Right Choice.

Hi, first time on here.

I'm in the market for new fishing reels and need some support as the more I read reviews the more I get confused on choice. I feel that a lot of the reviews are paid members supporting the brand's. So I hoping in this forum I will achieve the result I want, so here goes. 

I fish in rivers and I fish off a boat in say maximum 12Mt deep in the bay from geelong Victoria. I am looking for one reel as an allrounder.

I have had my eye on the new Daiwa aired 4000 and the penn spinfisher v 4500. Understand there is a weight difference but I don't mind. There are good features in both. I like the feel in both but am looking for the product that will last the longest with minimum fuss. I hear the daiwa does not like salt water at all...Has anyone experienced either of the two? 

I must say I have had two penn spinning reels I purchased from kmart 10 years ago and are still as good as the day I got them. Now the question which of the two new reels will match that....?

Hello @Faridsalibi@hotmail.com 

I have never fished down that way before and won't anytime soon but on what I know about spin reels is that it is quite hard to have an all rounder reel in particular your circumstances as fishing rivers and bays means you will run into a lot of different fish for example whiting tackle where you would use 1000 - 2500 sized reels with 2lb - 8lb line is a lot different to snapper or shark tackle where you would use 3000 - 5000 sized spin reels with 12lb - 30lb line so therefore makes it hard to have an "all rounder reel/outfit".

But if it were me in your case I would opt to getting cheaper gear rather than daiwa aired and penn spinfishers such as getting two reels for the price of one and the reels I would suggest would be the shimano sienna 2500 spooled with 6lb braid for your light work and a shimano Sedona 4000 spooled with 20lb braid for your med/heavy work which both of those reels are very much "bang for your buck", have reasonable drag quality, and will last forever if taken care of.

Also if your dead-set on sticking to only 1 reel I would suggest the Daiwa Aird but in a smaller size such as the 3000 spooled with 12lb braid this will be still fun on the smaller stuff but will handle the bigger fish with a bit of skill. And most spin reels hate salt water but if you are careful, give your reel a clean after every session, and don't go for swim at beach with the rod n reel in hand you WILL not have a problem.

Hope this helps     

Archived