Getting Back Into Fishing

J0N0

hi guys i am thinking about getting back into fishing particularly with soft plastics, i use to fish a lot with the old man but using baits and all this new gear that is out is a bit confusing,( braid and the use of soft plastics ect).

im thinking about buying the berkley challenger spin combo that BCF has on special at the moment any thoughts on this combo? and would it be suitable if i want to do a bit of conventional bait fishing or hard body lures ?

Let us know what species/situations/locations you mostly envisage using the combo mate - if you are targeting mostly bread and butter species you might be better off with a 2-4kg rod for better casting and feel. I'm not sure if the Shimano Sienna combos are on special at the moment at BCF but they are another good option for the price - normally $79 on special.

23 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Let us know what species/situations/locations you mostly envisage using the combo mate - if you are targeting mostly bread and butter species you might be better off with a 2-4kg rod for better casting and feel. I'm not sure if the Shimano Sienna combos are on special at the moment at BCF but they are another good option for the price - normally $79 on special.

was thinking of just starting off with the bread and butter species and will more than likely be land based around the brissy/jacobs well area 

also what is the kato brand gear like ?

I'd probably start with a 2-4kg then if I was you - spooled with 8lb line you are in with a good chance on stopping most things, except bigger jewies, threadies, cod, etc but this depends on the structure/snags in the area.  You can just change the leader (fluro) to suit the target species. This will allow you to cast further and cover more territory.

Not sure about the Kato brand sorry.

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I'd probably start with a 2-4kg then if I was you - spooled with 8lb line you are in with a good chance on stopping most things, except bigger jewies, threadies, cod, etc but this depends on the structure/snags in the area.  You can just change the leader (fluro) to suit the target species. This will allow you to cast further and cover more territory.

Not sure about the Kato brand sorry.

Agree. Lighter = more fun anyway. But 2-4kg is heaps for most species.

Also getting into plastics with a heavy set up is awful.

2-4kg will double as a bait or starting lure rod. Don't overdo the braid. 6 or 8lb will be good.

i went out and found a nice 2-4 kg combo ended up getting the Diawa advantage 2000 and the 7' ballistic-x rod combo from bcf now i just need to get some line on it and get out there. any tips for spooling it with braid ? ive heard that you need to use a mono backing first or just using a bit of electrical tape also works is this true ?

I don't usually shop at BCF but if they operate the same as a normal tackle store they will spool your reel for you and supply the backing mono for free. That is by far the easiest way to do it and they do a better job in my opinion.  Just ask them if they provide that service. If not, go to your nearest tackle shop and buy the braid there.

Hope this helps.

Archived