Recycling Project For Mid Nc Riverbanks

Gad

Unique recycling project uses highway waste to protect mid North Coast riverbanks

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-08/unique-recycling-project-using-highway-project-waste-to-protect/7699832

An innovative recycling project is using leftover tree stumps and rocks from Mid North Coast highway projects, to protect local riverbanks.

The project was started by John Schmidt, an Office of Environment and Heritage Senior Coast and Estuary Officer.

Mr Schmidt said tree stumps, timber and rocks from highway clearing between Port Macquarie and Urunga were being supplied by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) at no cost.

He said his initial aim was to install protection measures for up to four kilometres of river banks.

"Since the idea two years ago, we have about two thirds of it complete or underway, so that's about 3.5 kilometres committed to restoration with materials ready to go and funding to make it happen," he said.

"So it's been a fantastic response, given that when we started it was just an idea with no funding."

Mr Schmidt said the project had taken a lot of careful planning and he had received strong support along the way.

"I had to work out realistically how much one could achieve over a five-year period, so my objective was to get four kilometres of river fixed up in five years, so that was allowing one kilometre of river in each of the main river valleys," he said.

"So I had to prepare a list of materials I would need and it was amazing the goodwill that was out there among the different highway partners.

"This unique project is a good example of how landowner willingness and collaboration between many stakeholders can help bring about coordinated action to improve the health of estuaries on the north coast of New South Wales," he said.

Mr Schmidt said the project also had follow-on environmental benefits.

"Bank protection structures are usually made entirely of rock, so this timber will deliver nearly 100 tonnes of additional carbon into the estuary food chain, as well as providing a habitat niche for an extra one hectare of mangroves and promote fish habitat," he said.

"With RMS support, highway partners Lend Lease, Pacifico, Thiess and OHL Construction have provided around 600 stumps, 1,600 timber pins and 120 tonnes of rock, most of which has been delivered onsite at the river restoration project."

Archived