Northern Rivers 7th June 2008

Schultzy

Spent the Long weekend visiting old mates in northern NSW so inevitably a few hours were going to be spent fishing. A forecast for 30 knots of southerly on Saturday made the options limited. Figuring we could hide from the wind on the northern side of a break-wall, a session on luderick (blackfish to the locals) was selected as the most sensible plan.

Weed was collected on Friday afternoon by Julius in preparation for a pre-dawn start on Saturday to allow us to fish the entire run in tide. Upon arrival at the river on Saturday it was disappointing but not surprising to see the water quite dirty from recent rain. No to worry, the surf side of the wall was clean. We fished that side of the wall for all of about 30 minutes but the rough weather had a big swell pumping. After copping a couple of waves and being wet up to my armpits I reckoned it wasn’t fun any more :blink: and went over to the river side of the wall.

The incoming tide had brought some cleaner water in by then and it only took about 1 minute to get my first down and a nice blackfish into the bag. Kev soon wandered across from the southern side and was into fish immediately too. Julius was new to blackfishing but after a few missed strikes got his timing right and joined in dropping a few nice fish into the bag. Julius’ family came down to watch and brought morning tea along for us, mmm coffee and chocolate slice.:) His son Matt wanted to try this novel method of fishing and as kids do, landed a fish after all of 30 seconds.

We knocked off after catching a feed and were shocked by how hard the wind was blowing when we climbed to the top of the wall.

In spite of awful weather we had a great morning out with good friends and brought home a feed of lovely fresh blackfish fillets too.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AFO_7706.jpg

Julius with young Matt's first blackfish.

post-108-144598461251_thumb.jpg

Do you find it gets a bit hairy wave wise on that ledge or is pretty safe? The pic where old mate is down close with the fish, the rocks look wet. However considering you had kids there and from the comment about being protected from the wind, it must have been pretty safe:P

Nice work Schultzy, some nice blackfish there, and contrary to alot of peoples beliefs they are a good eating fish when prepared correctly. That is definitely one of my favourite types of fishing, off a breakwall in the northern rivers region of NSW.

Cheers,

Matt

Dinodadog wrote:

Nice going Neil, spent a few hours on that wall myself, did you get a chance for any EPs further up the river this trip.

No Dino,

We only fished one short session over the weekend, was actually not a fishing trip but just couldn't let the chance to catch a few luderick go by.

werewolf wrote:

Do you find it gets a bit hairy wave wise on that ledge or is pretty safe? The pic where old mate is down close with the fish, the rocks look wet. However considering you had kids there and from the comment about being protected from the wind, it must have been pretty safe:P

On the inside (river side) of the wall it is not too bad. The rocks were wet from a a fair bit of light spray flying. No danger of going for a plunge.

The kids were fishing from a little higher up the wall where the stones were nice and dry.

The surf side was another story; wet, windy, cold and some big waves cracking against the rocks.

mangler wrote:

Nice work Schultzy, some nice blackfish there, and contrary to alot of peoples beliefs they are a good eating fish when prepared correctly. That is definitely one of my favourite types of fishing, off a breakwall in the northern rivers region of NSW.

Cheers,

Matt

Yes I do enjoy eating fresh blackfish almost as much as catching them. Blackfishing provides a refreshing change to the usual fast pace chasing of pelagics or the rough and tumble of big barra or cod. Good for the stress levels.;)

Archived