Tuna Fishing Brisbane

mzaakir

Hey guys, theres been heaps of tuna around as you probably would have seen over the past week and a bit. Im gonna go try get some tomorrow but want to ask what small lures you recommend since longies seem to only be hitting small lures. Been getting mack tuna on any lure i just out but longies are in the mix and only eating tiny bait. Also if i put on a 10g, 20g metal would that be too light you reckon for longies, i know i wont cast is as far as i would if i was using a 50-60g but that smaller profile might be worth trying to get the bite.

any small chrome lure about the size of the bait they are feeding on....my go to is a 50mm long Abu Pirken I made a mold of 30 years ago...cast lead slug with fresh chrome paint.

Last two tuna i caught last year were on a 65mm soft plastic prawn wound in quickly...good fun on 12lb braid and 10lb leader...both ere about the 85cm mark from memory.  I was too lazy and half hearted to change the lure...first cast each time hooked up.

9 hours ago, mzaakir said:

Hey guys, theres been heaps of tuna around as you probably would have seen over the past week and a bit. Im gonna go try get some tomorrow but want to ask what small lures you recommend since longies seem to only be hitting small lures. Been getting mack tuna on any lure i just out but longies are in the mix and only eating tiny bait. Also if i put on a 10g, 20g metal would that be too light you reckon for longies, i know i wont cast is as far as i would if i was using a 50-60g but that smaller profile might be worth trying to get the bite.

caught a few solid macks, and a longy around 90ish on a 15g gillies slug thats now been retired lol. They can definetely handle the tuna as long as you dont go all out on them. I had locked up the drag on my 4k trying to get that longy away from the sharks. Did get it up unscathed but the split ring was hanging on by the balls haha.

You can also swap the treble out for an assist hook. 

If they're not skittish you can drop your slug out the back in free spool while on the move.

Do a big arc around them, pull up, then just rip the slug back through the middle of them. Only seem to work if they're not skittish though, which is hardly ever.