North Straddie

goat_man_baa

Just after a bit of info on north straddie. Keen to head over there with a carload of the boys and do a bit of fishing and surfing. Just wondering places to stay and how secure soem of them are with regards to boat items. If we have to might have to rent a house for the weekend or something so it can all be garaged. Also is fuel/ice/bait available over there or should everything be taken? Not really an option to camp as too much of a hassle to get all the gear together.

North Straddie is a fully functional town. You can buy almost anything you'd want over there for camping/holidaying.

Amity Pt is a nice place to stay. A few good fishing spots and easy access to most of the island. Security has never been an issue for us. Maybe don't go during school holidays (especially september) as a minority of people sometimes go over there and much around a bit.

I would suggest you take some precautions with your gear because although I have never had a thing stolen in all the time I have been going over there I know of some local tea leafs plus the odd one comes across from the mainland.

Basic precautions like removing sounder and gps from boats, rods in an area where they are out of sight and if moved will make some noise are good options. If you leave it in sight some things are just to big a temptation.

Most things are available oer there, but more limited options than mainland, and the price is usually around plus 20%

The better surf is likely to be found on main beach so with the boys point lookout might be a better option if hotter surfing and fishing is prefered, but flinders / amity can be ok at times and is my preference when I have the family wwith me.

Just keep glass bottles off the beach thanks :)

Archived