tiller steering help

flyfish1972

hey every one

i have a Yamaha 30 tiller steer on a 420 stacer nomad,and for some reason the steering pulls very hard to the left ,i meen after about 1km of travel my arm is killing me and it takes a fair bit to turn .i don't believe it should be like this.Ive had the boat and motor for 4 months and i really need to fix this issue .does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or how to address the problem

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF1112_AFO.jpg

post-4235-144598493913_thumb.jpg

loosen the bolt off and turn it the opposite way, go quite a bit too. it will vary with the amount of trim used, the more trim used the more you need to turn the tab. try moving the pin on the mounting case to a neutral possie, if it has 5 locations to place the pin, try the third hole out!

Would also pay to check that the motor is at the right height and trimmed properly as well. If the motor is too low it will always feel 'heavy'. Cav plate should be level with the keel or slightly higher when the two are running parallel. Did that make sense?

Having the motor trimmed in will also make it feel heavy, however trim it out too far and the steering can be flighty. Need to play around with the trim, when the motor is at the right height, until you find the right balance.

Once you get that sorted then I would start playing with the 'trim tab'.

Behind the prop is an anode with a fin pertruding down from the under side of the foot with a single bolt in the centre of it which conects it to the motor.The fin should be flat on the starbed side an curved on the portside of the boat. The thrust of water being pushed from the prop past this fin makes the fin act like a rudder. Slight adjustment of this fin might be needed. Looking from underneth the motor turn the fin clockwise and this will fix the problem if it's pulling to the left .Before undoing the bolt just check to see there isn't a ruber boot on top of the foot above and inline of the bolt if there is remove the rubber boot and you will be able to access a stainless nut with a socket and extension bar. if there is no boot it should be fine to just undo the bolt from underneath ,rotate it slightly and nip the bolt back up i have had to do this to my motors over the years to correct the same problem your encountering with your motor.

Yeh mate I find it's a fine line with my tinnie. If it is trimmed up too high (skeg further away from the transom) my tiller will pull strongly to the left, exactly like you are describing. If it is trimmed down to low it will plough through the water too much. My tip: I'd say trim it down and have another go.

Joel ;)

Archived