Real world toughness between braid and mono.

I've been playing around a bit looking at what braid and mono equivalents really are under real world conditions.

I was thinking about running mono for live baiting at fishing parks, but as I run 50lb or 60lb braid I wanted to see what mono comes closest to it.

But back in my shark fishing days I either ran 100lb braid, or 50lb mono and found both pretty equal, although in the end I went back to the 50lb mono as I liked the strech for taking power out of the big runs.

But back on topic. If you stick with the rule of thumb of twice the line strength as your reels maximum drag then the only real factor is abrasion resistance or how much stretch you need or need to avoid.

As to abrasion, just testing it at home on old metal, concrete ect I found when under the same pressure, in this case 10kg (mag for the drag on the reel I was considering) I found that 30lb mono performance was the same if not better then the 50lb and even 60lb braid, although it was beaten by 100lb spectra braid, probably not that surprising really.

So that makes me think I could easily get away with 30lb mono instead of the 50lb braid, rather then going to 40lb or 50lb mono that eats too much into the reels line capacity.

Hi Bob9863, For most of my reels I spool up with braid for 3/4 of the spool  then fill up the reel to the top using a top shot of mono, that way I have the best of both, the braid gives you extra line capacity should you need it and the mono top shot gives you the stretch to absorb head shakes, jumps and sharp runs with the possibility of a bit more abrasion resistance. Downside is that you lose a bit of sensitivity having the mono connected to a fish.

Having said that, there isn't much you can do if the line goes over oyster covered rocks🙄 no matter which method you choose.

I thought about running the two, but I already run a long leader so I figured that's got me covered.

The main reason I was considering running mono was for live baiting. The wind can do a real number on braid and the mono let's more sensitive fish have a bit more play before they realise the bait is attached to something.

Wind knots are 90% line management on your spool....most common cause is not noticing the line crossing the top of the spool when the bail closes....causes the loose circle of braid that rattles down the guides and hangs up with an eye....or worst case drags extra loops from the spool when it is freed in the cast creating a massive knot in the guides.

It very seldom is the wind that causes it.

18 hours ago, mangajack said:

Wind knots are 90% line management on your spool....most common cause is not noticing the line crossing the top of the spool when the bail closes....causes the loose circle of braid that rattles down the guides and hangs up with an eye....or worst case drags extra loops from the spool when it is freed in the cast creating a massive knot in the guides.

It very seldom is the wind that causes it.

Wind knots aren't the problem, it's floating braid blowing in the wind, it's a bit of a problem at times, I'd rather a sinking line.

• 1 month later...

Starting to rethink the use of Braid as my main option for variouse reasons.

(a)Knots

(B) tangles harder to ubtangle

(c) Invisabillity of line

(c)I know feel is better with braid but think that works both ways for the Fisho as well as for the Fish.

So far am srocked up with Braid so will take time to use it or its use by date make the choice ??.

If I was to set up a mono rod specifically for abrasion resistance I would opt of Schnieder Klearline.

If I was to set up a mono setup for general fishing I would opt for Maxima.

As per a recent post I have spooled up two bait rods with Tatsu FC for the extra clear winter water bait fishing.

I currently have 6 setups with mono or FC.....all specific for a purpose.

I only use Mono as most of you know.

I use Pretest, Tortue, PennX. & a few others. I even use Kastking, which people frown at. The worst mono I have used is Daiwa J thread nylon. (IMO )  I see guys with braid & their problems. Fishing is for relaxation, not nightmares.