Scarborough reef tips

Bluevien

I hit up Scarborough reef last week for the first time and had a ball. I anchored up in 3.5 metres of water on the inside elbow of what I think was North Reef and I didn't move for about 4 hours because of all the action. There were plenty of boats on the outside of the reef but didn't see much happening for them there. I picked up small bream, squire and grassies and shovelnose rays on bait and pike on SPs. Even managed to bring my first wobbegong boat side. Amongst all that I lost 6 big hook ups which were either bitten off or busted off around the rocks.

The heaviest leader I was using was 30lb so I will be upgrading that to 50lb. Any other hints and tips for fishing this area? Will 50lb be enough? I was just floating the bait out being so shallow.

Rob

Wobby central there when i fish bait :laugh: i fish the outside i rekkon the green will hold snapper in the next few months there, the snap offs were probably little sharks... it dosnt fish very well at night and i cant be assed going there during the day on the weekend due to all the boat traffic... by the way look out at night because there is some locals that think its ok to be out there at night without lights, not uncommon for a couple of boats to be out there at one time without lights on

Archived