Caloundra Military Jetty - June 12th

Mr FeLiX

Evening all,

Miss Munchkin and I decided on an early morning venture up to caloundra to fish the area around the military jetty, which has produced well for us before. So after spending the evening prior salting down tuna fillets for bait, we packed the car and had a nap.

Left at about 4am and there dead on sunrise, must of looked like a hoodlum, hoodie and mask on carrying vicious looking fishing weaponary B)

Miss Munchkin was (as bloody usual :laugh: ) the first on, with two good bream taken from the jetty on salted tuna fillet. She caught her new PB Breambo, a fat 27cm fish. Funnily enough, the fish wouldn't touch the bait until it swung with the current on a tight line.

I persisted with SX40s myself and was rewarded with... Sea pike... :woohoo: :lol::unsure: :blush:

I reckon they must follow me and have gps marks of my fishing spots...

After a small shift to a rock wall just north, I sent small cubes of tuna into the waters of the pelican waters canal mouth, and was rewarded with 5 breambos in total, biggest going roughly 29cm. All taken fishing light drags and allowing them to take line, allowing the little mustad circle hook to find it's mark in the corner of the mouth.

Miss Munchkin also scored another two breambos of roughly the same calibre here. :side:

Threw a popper around for a while to no avail, and the higher the sun rose, the more 'pickish' the bites got.

Funny... Apparently there was a fishing comp on?... B)

sounds like you had loads of fun. good work.

try dropping straight down on the jetty next time, it does great for the larger bream after you've sorted out through the babies.

the canals do really well early morning and late afternoon, you get some nice trevally every so often.

Eug wrote:

try dropping straight down on the jetty next time, it does great for the larger bream after you've sorted out through the babies.

the canals do really well early morning and late afternoon, you get some nice trevally every so often.

does this apply to vertically jigging blades around jettys? or just bait

Eug wrote:

To be honest Eug, we didn't get a bream I'd term as a baby all morning, though as I said we left well before the sun really made it's mark.

I did try vertically jiggung blades along the jetty and casting SX40s along the pylons. but only found the pike

Felix :blush:

dazzas4x4 wrote:

what comp was on???

i was there saturday and there were boats everywhere

there was an annual fishing comp on supported by the power boat club, it's called the stuart something fishing tournament. $30,000 in prizes, including a new tinnie with all the bells and whistles. i was out there today and there were heaps of boat aswell.

unfortunatly it was a weigh in entry only so the passage would have copped a flogging for the last 2 days :(

Archived