Kookaburra park 26/6

rayke1938

Went fishing there with Graham Pflaum andlaunched at 8am. The tide had just turned and started to run out. Tried with the cast net and caught 3 large mullet just off the end of the ramp with the first cast and 2 bream with the next.Then nothing so went downstream and over the other side and managed 4 very large boneys and one prawn after a lot of effort.

We went down stream and anchored up opposite the pontoon and put out 2 boneys under floats and the smallest bream on the bottom.

I also put put the live prawn under a float.

After about a hour there was a hit on the bream but no hook up. When I retrieved the bream there was a large chunk out of it in between the hooks. O sh!t.

Around 10 I had a good run on one of the boneys but lost it when I brought it close to the boat.

Graham then had a hit on his boney and the tail was taken off below the hook.

We caught quite a few catfish but they wernt nearly thick as normal.

No interest whatsoever on the live prawn it was still kicking at 12 oclock when we stopped fishing.

We had seen prawns flicking all morning so I threw the cast net for a while and ended up with a 2 litre icecream container of prawns.

The most productive area was in the small bay just downstream of the ramp in around 3 feet of water.

So although we didnt catch any sharks or the elusive thready we still ended up with the prawns and the mullet and one bream.

Bycatch in the cast net also included 3 flathead around 20cm, I eel around 30cm ( kept for shark bait) and 2 turtles.

Only took one photo of the bream with the chunk out of it.It swam away quite strongly.

Ray

Archived