flathead

snap1946

I don't think flathead migrate as such, but they do change their habits a bit around spawning time.

I can go to almost any of my normal flathead fishing areas in any week of the year and get some flathead.

What does change is how you tempt them to take your line.

Some periods I find they will only take  a live bait...same location 3 weeks later they will devour anything. For me in three of the locations I am thinking about it is mid August to mid September....we have a algae bloom here every year and everything gets covered in snot weed.

During spawning time the smaller males are most likely the fish you will catch....the big females are engorged with roe and less likely to be actively feeding.

One thing that does not change year round is the time to chase them....run out tide....Most of my usual places are the bottom 1/3rd of the tide running out.

5 hours ago, mangajack said:

I don't think flathead migrate as such, but they do change their habits a bit around spawning time.

I can go to almost any of my normal flathead fishing areas in any week of the year and get some flathead.

What does change is how you tempt them to take your line.

Some periods I find they will only take  a live bait...same location 3 weeks later they will devour anything. For me in three of the locations I am thinking about it is mid August to mid September....we have a algae bloom here every year and everything gets covered in snot weed.

During spawning time the smaller males are most likely the fish you will catch....the big females are engorged with roe and less likely to be actively feeding.

One thing that does not change year round is the time to chase them....run out tide....Most of my usual places are the bottom 1/3rd of the tide running out.

thanks that the same for when i go to donnydrook