any land based flathead spots at hays inlet?

James Reeves
Go to solution Solved by Doughnuts,

I'm interested in giving land based fishing at hays inlet and its nearby area a shot, I'd like to target dusky flathead on plastics or lures. usually I'd head up to Bribie island, where just yesterday I smashed out three 60cm Dusky Flathead and one small Bartail (all luck, no skill), but sometimes I don't feel up for the drive and it can be quite a gamble, the hour of driving is not equal to tiny fish I usually catch. Hays bay is much closer and I think it would be quite nice so please drop any spots or reviews below. 

Thanks!

20 hours ago, James Reeves said:

Is there any easy access points to get on too the sandflats? Just looking at it from google maps I can't see any easy way of getting down there. Any soft plastic recommendations or tides in specific that do well? Thanks you for the advice so far.

I could show you a spot on how to get down onto the clontarf side, if you'd like. 

• Solution

There a quite a few good fish to be caught in hays. Plenty of flatties with a few jew every now and then, plus the standard bream and whitting. No specific lures or plastics, I think I have caught flatties down there on just about every lure I own. As for fresh bait options, heaps of soldier crabs there, or take a cast net, there's no shortage of livies. However as Mangajack said earlier, there is no specific spot, just gotta find where they a sitting on the day.