leader to lure option

Coconutdog

Being a newbie to fishing, trying to catch flatties. I'm asking whether it is a good idea to have a swivel/snap at the end of the leader. This would facilitate changing lures, rather than having to cut the old one off, retie and shorten the leader. This would mean you have a swivel at the end of the spooled line and another at the end of the leader. What do you think?

I normally use a loop knot when using lures as well, but if you're changing lures frequently then a snap swivel may help make things easier. The downside is that the snap can supposedly hinder the action of the lure, but I have never personally experienced this.

You could try tying a leader knot (for example, FG or Albright knot) from the end of your spooled line to the start of the leader, this way you can make your leader longer without having to worry about a swivel getting stuck in your rod guides as well. 

I'm usually running at least a rod length of leader so swivel is not an option.

Flatties are one of the best species to try and test yourself on the soft plastics. (ie put your lure in their ambush zone and they will engulf) Getting the rod tip action and lure action / pause with the squidgy will be more important than whether you have a snap swivel or loop knot. For a squidgy the lead head will drive most of the lure action with the sinking and squidgy tail flutter.

For other species or more delicate lures this may not always be the case.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'd better go and learn some new knots. Have just mastered the uni knot. Went and bought a Daiwa 7" BeefStick Z last week. Been down the beach a couple of times (when the wind isn't blowing a gale) and had a couple of goes with soft plastics. No luck yet.

Trying to upload an image but keep getting an error.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

How big is the swell / wave break where you are trying with soft plastics. I'd recommend trying inland creeks / rivers first. Easier conditions to hone your craft.

Yeppoon beach where the Ross Ck comes out. Also Farnborough beach. Very little swell but gets very windy making casting difficult at times. i've en some good flathead caught off these beaches using both bait & plastics.

Loop knots and FG knots are both second nature to tie and both are quick and painless.

I only use snaps on my trolling boards for faster setup and pack up....never anywhere else.

That being said though, before my beginning with plastics and my previous life of hard bodies, snaps were the norm....these days I will not use snaps even on hard bodies.

I've never been a fan of anything extra on my line, whether it's snaps, swivels or clips. It's just a personal preference, as most have already said, the good knots become second nature and u can tie them with your eyes closed in a gale force wind. With that being said, when chasing flatties, once you get amongst them you will find yourself constantly having to re-tie your lures or jigs anyways. As flatties are masters of scuffing your leader a long way up. Even after missing a fish always check as you will be surprised at the damage they can cause to your leader.

Have a look at the SC knot.    I have been using it for the past year or so.  You dont have to finish it with the restretto (spelling) but with half hitches around main and leader and then around main.    Try googling a couple of videos on it.  I like it because I dont need my mouth and 4 hands to tie it like an FG 🙂  actually I can tie it in a boat when its rough and windy.

3 hours ago, Huxstang said:

Have a look at the SC knot.    I have been using it for the past year or so.  You dont have to finish it with the restretto (spelling) but with half hitches around main and leader and then around main.    Try googling a couple of videos on it.  I like it because I dont need my mouth and 4 hands to tie it like an FG 🙂  actually I can tie it in a boat when its rough and windy.

I don't know what I do wrong, but I can can never tie the SC knot.

I look, I watch and I try, but I never get it to work.

If I could post a pic I would video how I do it for you.  Its actually simple once you work out the line pulling back on itself

I finally got the hang of the SC knot, but one problem I found is it doesn't seem to work unless the braid is much thinner then the leader.

With the FG knot I can tied 10lb braid to 10lb leader just fine, but I haven't managed that with the SC knot, yet.

Practising, I've got pretty good with 10lb braid and 30lb leader, if i can get as good a result with 10lb braid and 16lb leader then it would very useful for me in a number of situations.

20 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I finally got the hang of the SC knot, but one problem I found is it doesn't seem to work unless the braid is much thinner then the leader.

With the FG knot I can tied 10lb braid to 10lb leader just fine, but I haven't managed that with the SC knot, yet.

Practising, I've got pretty good with 10lb braid and 30lb leader, if i can get as good a result with 10lb braid and 16lb leader then it would very useful for me in a number of situations.

Yes found that myself, I thought it was just me, was trying to tie some 8lb FC onto 16lb braid.  Might be its limitation.  Hardest thing for me is actually seeing 8lb FC in less than full light.  I just do a double uni.