Moreton Island

nathanquigley

Hey everyone,

Heading to moreton island with some friends. Will be chasing flathead on the western side of the island and tailor, dart, whiting, jew and whatever else we can get our hands on on the eastern side if weather permits.

I have never been to moreton island before, and no one else coming has much an idea about fishing lol so i was wondering if anyone has any advice on tackle, locations that fish better in particular winds/conditions/tides, baits to use (especially for flathead and tailor) rigs etc.

Any reports on what the fishings like there this time of year?

As a moreton island virgin I'm really excited to get over and see what the fishings like =)

Cheers,

Nathan

Mate you will love the place. I used to fish from the head land and do well with trevs. Dart are an easy target from the surf, fresh bait is best you used to be able to get pipies on the surf beach east as but do not know if that is still possible.

The northen end and it runs from north point on the west side around to Cape Moreton on the easten beach. Always be super carefull on the rocks as some big waves can jack up from no where. I have seen some big sharks taken from the rocks there.

Hey Nathan,

I am guessing you will be land based if so soft plastics will cover all the species you have mentioned. Anything fish shaped ( minno,shads,flick baits ) 4" to 5" should be ok.If you are taking a castnet live bait even better but you will need to cover plenty of beach front. The rocks mentioned above definatly worth a crack. I usually fish from a boat over on the Island so I dont know much about land based spots but the beach at Bulwa North always looks good to me you will need long casts I think. I am heading over in a couple of weeks myself for a weekend and plan to fish the beach along there at night.

It wont matter if you dont catch anything you will have a great time over there its a beautiful place. Hope you are going on Sunday Saturday looks a bit crappy on the weather front.

All the best.

Thanks everyone for the tips,

I will definately do a report when I get back. I'll be there tomorrow, saturday, sunday and monday morning- we have a house rented on the west side of the island :cheer:

I'll pack the soft plastics as suggested, I also have a cast net and yabby pump for some livies.

With regard to tailor- is a half or whole pilchard on a single circle hook or ganged hooks the way to go on moreton? Or will SP's in the surf do just as well?

Cheers,

Nathan

I stayed over there about a month or so ago it was the first time and i had a ball and i got my first giant trevally. Bulwer is worth a crack just make sure you time it right. I had a few flicks and a couple of bream within 10 cast maybe not even that then next minute everyone got off big cat reality barge and was snorkelling around me so packed up and moved to the wrecks. The same thing happened there but i did manage a few snappers and a golden trevally. The majority of the snaps were legal but it was during the snapper ban and they had to be realised. The best time to go the tanga wrecks is an hour either side of the tide change as the current can rip through there

If you see a white ute over there with Moreton Island Fishing Charters say G'Day that will be my boss as he stays at his house over there when we dont have charters he will point you in the right direction.

P.S if you get a chance go to the tangalooma jetty in the morning you will see a huge kingie underneath the jetty but if you fish there make sure you abide by the rules on the sign.

I stayed over there about a month or so ago it was the first time and i had a ball and i got my first giant trevally. Bulwer is worth a crack just make sure you time it right. I had a few flicks and a couple of bream within 10 cast maybe not even that then next minute everyone got off big cat reality barge and was snorkelling around me so packed up and moved to the wrecks. The same thing happened there but i did manage a few snappers and a golden trevally. The majority of the snaps were legal but it was during the snapper ban and they had to be realised. The best time to go the tanga wrecks is an hour either side of the tide change as the current can rip through there

If you see a white ute over there with Moreton Island Fishing Charters say G'Day that will be my boss as he stays at his house over there when we dont have charters he will point you in the right direction.

P.S if you get a chance go to the tangalooma jetty in the morning you will see a huge kingie underneath the jetty but if you fish there make sure you abide by the rules on the sign.

Cheers mate. Are those wrecks accessible land based? Will definately say hi to your boss if I run into him :) Wow kingies under the jetty? Are they there in numbers or is it just the infrequent one or two?

Thanks for the help,

Nathan

Mate i have a house at tangalooma and have fished this island from head to tail for the last 10 years. I would say that my fvourite would have to be using soft plastics say Berkley Gulp 5" ,at the cowan cowan artificail reef sounding out the schools and dropping down the 5"s you cant go wrong. Generally at night time I go down to the tangalooma jetty and catch pike on plastics and then cast them out as livies. Last time I was there at about 2am my rod went off and then my other two mates. I brought in a 7 ft shovel nose and my other two mates caught a 4ft cobia and a 6ft cobia. Also we have caught a black marlin off the jetty, plenty of kingfish and a couple of snapper. In late afternoon we tend to drive to Honeymoon bay and cast soft plastics off the rocks or again big baits on very very heavy gear. Another thing to do that is alot of fun is getting pippies on the western beach and casting out into the surf and you will generally catch dart, whiting, flathead and bream. But make sure you look for the hooking type of gutters so you can walk out onto them and cast back into them. And lastly the beacons between Brisbane and moreton are insane when jigging and popping. We have caught yellow tail kingys, queenies and amberjack. Hope you have a great trip and good luck!

Archived