Kids fishing

S4T4N

I have a brother in law that is trying tot each his kids to fish using 30lb braid and overhead reels

I want to take the kids to wellington point and make him buy a couple of kids rods to catch garfish and whiting on. any tips for this spot or any tips for how to get a good strike rate ( on even rubbish fish) to keep the kids interested. my basic plan of attack is a god berley trail and maybe floated small baits or sabikis

I have a brother in law that is trying tot each his kids to fish using 30lb braid and overhead reels

I want to take the kids to wellington point and make him buy a couple of kids rods to catch garfish and whiting on. any tips for this spot or any tips for how to get a good strike rate ( on even rubbish fish) to keep the kids interested. my basic plan of attack is a god berley trail and maybe floated small baits or sabikis

That sound like a better idea mate ;):)

i would use banito as it is by far the most likely bait to get a few bites, but you have to use batemate to stop it falling off the hook, use a small hook say between size #10 and #4 (all tho i have got a 2"whiteing on a size 10/0 hook with a whole mullet on it lol),

use the lightest trace you can without the risk of getting bite offs,

and for burley i find that a can of tuna cat food with lots of screwdriver wholes in it tied to a piece of rope is the best you can get, it gives you a longlasting burtley trail with out haveing to keep throwing handfulls of cat biscuts in the water,

i would stay away from lures/artifical baits with kids cos they will soon get board.

Goos luck

Cheers Corey

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for the late reply, i have not been on this forum for a while, my pc has been down.

it would depend on where you are going fishing on what species would be availble. and you i have only done tailor fishing up at inskip point up at noosa, and i got a few nice ones at this time of year, the biggest one was 41cm, but got around 40 undersized ones as well :>(

some places i would recomend are:

up at the mouth of the brissy river, on the concrete block thing is good for bream, and even squire.

if you try near the mouth of the little creeks that run in to the river mouth, you can get some decent flathead, and if you are so inclined stingrays lol.

you can try breakfast creek behind the old park for flathead, whiteing (you can get some massive ones there), rays, shovelnose, and bull sharks.

hope this helps

Corey

Hi i have kids that i take fishing nearly every weekend.

The rig i use for them when they start to learn is a cheap rod with light mono.

I choose a good quality leader and a size 1/0 hook.

I have taught the kids to bait there own hooks and we use prawns.

I can nearly guarantee that they will catch at least one bream and also get lots of bites which makes the kids stay interested.

Archived