Shovel nose

Dav0

Hey guys! Got a question.

When we are out chasing squire we very often pick up a few shovel nose. Never kept any always returned fit and healthy. But was wondering are they any good to eat and if so ways the best way to bleed em? The mrs favorite fish to eat is flake and I assumed they fell somewhere close to this category! Anyone kept them before?

Davo

I have kept a few as the missus loves flake also, they are pretty good eating but im not sure of the correct procedure in bleeding them i just treat it like most other fish except i was told to cut the fins off immediatley not sure why something to do with ammonia i think.

what is the best way to fillet them? over at moreton we catch about 4 a night some over 6ft but have never thought to keep them as they are a beautiful creature.

take the fillet off like a normal fish or like a flathead in fact, then lie skin down and cut so your knife is hard on the skin to take the flesh of the skin and then once you have your fillet cut the blood line out and throw it away..................... yum yum

Archived