Brisbane Bream?

Gcarj

For some reason im struggling to find these little buggers. Can anyone suggest spots preferably on the southside where you're catching them. Im at Capalaba.

Specifically im trying to catch them on SP's with little luck, just one so far. Have caught flatties, flounder, longtoms so far. Im sure its my technique but im working on it, that's why im asking where they are so that I can increase my hook-ups and find out what works best

Cheers

no sure exactly where as i dont fish down that way but have you tried in the canals around raby bay etc.

those canal systems hold some big bream!

Yes have had a couple of short sessions down there. My PB was actually down there about 10 years ago......the fish went 46 cm.......on bread

Specifically im trying to catch them on SP's with little luck, just one so far. Have caught flatties, flounder, longtoms so far. Im sure its my technique but im working on it, that's why im asking where they are so that I can increase my hook-ups and find out what works best

Cheers

How about I swap you my bream with your flounder? ;) I've been trying to catch flounder without any luck. Been scoring a lot of bream, biggest one was 38cm. That's all I have caught from shore in the past month.

Damn! A 46 bream! Didn't happen to get a photo by chance and still have it?

I do have a photo but 10 hrs ago....... Maybe more.......before camera phones. I'll have a look during the week and see if I can scan it up or something?

Cheers

How about I swap you my bream with your flounder? ;) I've been trying to catch flounder without any luck. Been scoring a lot of bream, biggest one was 38cm. That's all I have caught from shore in the past month.

Where are you catching the bream? The flounder I caught in a brief session on Saturday was lucky if he was 10cm......lol

Cheers

In my expierence to catch a flounder on SP's is the same as flathead just make sure SP is hitting the bottom pop it up 2-3times then drop to bottom... I found 3" pumpkin seed and 2" nuclear chicken have always seemed to nail them, I have got a few 30cm behind coochie on eastern side

Where are you catching the bream? The flounder I caught in a brief session on Saturday was lucky if he was 10cm......lol

Hope it didn't peel off too much drag. :lol:

I've been getting the bream at Paradise Pt, Manly, Wynnum, Lota and Raby Bay canals. Every decent fish I've hooked has been a bream, thankfully the winter specimens taste much better than at other times of the year because I'm not getting any flatties either.

Have caught flatties, flounder, longtoms so far....

Cheers

Going by your comment I take it that you are mainly working the water on/near the bottom,as these species are predominately on or near the bottom feeders.

May I suggest a better option to target bream would be to concerntrate around structures such as rock walls, bridge,pier/pontoon pilons etc, and work in/or close to the structures and vary the depth that you are working ( surface to bottom/ or opposite ) to help find where the fish are feeding/holding.

eg: if your fishing in 4metres of water,and the fish are feeding/holding at 3metres,and you are only working your lure from the bottom to .5 of a metre off the bottom,your lure is not where the fish are.

You will have to cast X distances past the structure to be able to work the lure back, by the structure, at varying heights.

Experiment with retrieves,jig head weight should be as light as possible for the conditions and be prepared to change the style or colour of the SPs if it`s not working on the day.

Archived