Petrol that saves you money

collvan

Hi

I don’t know who of you saw ‘A Current Affair’ last night but there was an interesting segment regarding fuel, particularly which type of fuel gets you further and therfore saves you money.

It turns out that Premium fuel (98) is cheaper per kilometre than other fuel (not including diesel which is twice as efficient as 98).

So I am now going to put 98 octane fuel in by boat.

Please see the article and link below.

Petrol prices are near record highs and with many other costs of living heading north, households have to make every cent count.

With that in mind, switching to a more expensive fuel may not seem like a smart option, but when it comes to petrol it seems you really do get what you pay for.

Testing by A Current Affair has proven what many motoring journalists have thought for years — not only do premium fuels boost a vehicle's performance but they can also lift fuel efficiency.

Premium petrol, with a higher octane content, will get more kilometres for your dollar than regular unleaded petrol or ethanol-blended fuel. The effect is particularly pronounced in late model cars, which are more suited to the high octane gas, but even a vehicle that is 15 years old will enjoy a mileage boost when running on premium fuel.

So forking out the extra 10 cents or so a litre can make sense when you consider the money spent on upgrading to premium may only add up to $5 a tank.

And remember, fuel shopper dockets will save you four cents a litre, so when you calculate all the extra kilometres you'll be able to drive, it could be an important money saver.

If you have a diesel-powered car then premium petrol is not an option. However, diesel vehicles are already more fuel efficient than petrol cars.

Gas-powered vehicles are even easier on your wallet, and can be retrofitted to many petrol-based cars.

/>http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/investigations/8287254/petrol-that-saves-you-money

i always look ed fuel as like food for our bodies ( engins ) if you put crap food in our bodys we dont run sufficiantly, but if we eat healthy we run well, same goes for engins. you look after them and put the rite fuel in it, then she will reward you for it.

i once had not much mony so i decide to put e10 crap in my big boat. it was 90l i put in, well my 200suz hated it, it coughed and farted and would get to its max speed, infacted it cut 12mph of it. so i drained all 140l and used it in my wifes car.....

and its true, when we used mormal unleaded in my wifes to go to harvey, we used a tank, but on our way back we put high octain in and used 3/4 of a tank.... goes to show you get what you pay for

I've heard that using the E10 fuel in outboards will cause water to form in the fuel and could stuff up the engines they are looking at developing the newer engines to take the ethenol based fuels so I'b be careful before putting the cheaper fuel in may cost much more with repairs

I started using premium in my Hilux shortly after I got it a few months back and swear by it! Get an extra 30-50 k's from a tank, haven't done the sums to see if it's cheaper but it must be better for the car and at the end of the day only costs an extra $6 to fill up.

For anyone planning to cross over, don't expect a change straight away, can take a few full tanks of premium for the computer to work out I doesn't need to use a much!

I only use BP fuel for some reason, i go for the best ''BP Ultimate Unleaded'' my 4x4 and cars have never missed a beat :)

Well my thoughts anyway on BP fuel ;)

Cheers

Darren

in theory great. but do more reading on premium fuels in outboats you will be surprised.

Found this quote elsewhere:

My suggestion is if you have an old tech motor e.g. carby 2 stroke or 4 stroke then fuel type probably isn't a big issue. But you need to take some care with the latest technology 2 or 4 strokes in terms of fuel used etc because modern non sulphur fuels break down/ and key components evaporate much quicker than in the past.

Archived