Fun arvo at brissie river + dinner

pinkey

Today i was bored and had nothing to do so i decided to go fishing down the road at my secret spot in the brisbane river. i had no bait so i decided to bring my castnet and bring bread and some old meat just incase. When i arrived there it was about 3pm abd almost full tide and still coming in so i was happy because high tide is the only time i can castnet without getting muddy.. anyway first cast with the castnet i got one prawn, i hooked the live prawn through the tail and casted it out and kept on cast netting, when all of a sudden about 5mins after i had cast out i saw my rod bending and almost getting pulled into the water. A nice battle and to my delight comes up my second and biggest Threadfin Salmon at 51cm :D. I also had best castnet session with my $30 6foot net scoring 30 prawns

and some weird cod thing wich looked like a cross between a stonefish and a cod. I had a few huge more huge threadfin like runs but no more hookups :) a fun 2 hours fishing.

Todays catch: 1 51cm Threadfin salmon, 30 prawns, 1 cod thing, one tiny mullet, 1 of those see through baitfish.

Tomorrow flathead and I are probly gonna spend the whole day castnetting and fishing, we will hopefully have a fish filled report coming tomorrow :P

Sorry no pictures :(

ok thanks, are you sure a smaller hook would be better for threadfin because i was already using a bream hook and i would think that a bigger hook would be more affective because of there huge bucket mouths, im probly wrong though..

anyway i went fishing again today all day at the brissie river with flathead and all we managed on the rod was 1 fat catfish :( oh well we did score about 65 prwans though :)

also a friend of mine went fishing down neer the indro bridge today and is claiming to of caught a 124cm catfish!! :o IS this even POSSABLE? he swears he caught it but says he didnt have a camera on him wich i think is abit sus cos i woulda taken it home and got it mounted :P but he says it wouldnt fit in the car!! has any1 ever caught or even heard of catfish in the brisbane river growing to this size...?

I would love to see a photo. But id give him the benefit of the doubt. Just down the river from there in the mouth of Oxley creek my mates and i got a catty well over a meter once while sharking in a tinny. Biggest one i have seen to date.

Angus

P.S. Well done on the Salmon :)

lol nice one oceandonkey, yeah im about 80% sure hes telling the truth hehe. Weird, the biggest one ive personaly seen out of the river was just shy of 60cm.. dam if it is true would that catfish be like 50 years old?

anyway yeh i went down again to my little spot this arvo at about 4pm till about 5:20 and caught 22 more prawns :D and another one of theese weird cod things.

Nothing on the rod although had some good runs.. one of them bit all of the prawn off exept the tail where my hook was ><...

Yeah thats what i was thinking Alshilux.. he was pretty darn fat and about 15oddcm, he had some nasty spikes on his head.. i was thinking it would be to salty where i am but we have caught a fresh water eel there so i guess its quite possable..

keep trying for the threadfin AlsHilux its worth it my tip is go to a nice quiet stretch of the river at high tide and throw out a nice big live prawn and just wait :).. There is still quite a few nice little ones around at the moment..

Archived