my new boat

simmano

Am now the proud owner of a Viking Profish courtesy of Do$tylz! This is a big upgrade for me given that previous yakking was lap-rested rod in an Old Town Otter...

Spent the long weekend cruising around Bribie Passage to get a good feel for the boat. Tried a bit of hb trolling for flatties in the gutters around low tide but only managed to catch a bunch of weed.

One question for the yakkers out there - my spinning reel kept getting dunked in the chop when sitting in the rear rod holders on the troll, salt water not good for it i'm sure. Any suggestions for how to avoid this? I know I can always go buy fancy pivoting rod holders, but keen to make best use of the existing 4 holders first...! cheers

post-10729-144598779156_thumb.jpg

post-10729-144598779167_thumb.jpg

Mount a 30 dollar berkley holder in front of you. If necessary extend it with a bit of 19mm RHS aluminium.

Rear rod holders are useless for trolling, you can't see the rod, dont know when you have fouled the lure with weed etc

If you get a good fish it is awkward getting the rod out of the holder and turning the yak to a position to fight the fish.

What they are great for is stashing your landing net, put it next to the hip opposite your rod holding hand's side. Then its right there when you get the fish yakside, reach behind you and your in business.

congrats simmano and thanks for buying :) hopefully the old faithful gets some much needed use. It hadn't seen water for a while.

$10 going to AFO as a donation, and the remaining has gone to a new Nikon D7000 camera body. I was in 2 minds about buying a new 2012 Exist, but with an impending trip to Europe soon and wanting to take higher quality pictures while fishing, a new camera won out. Plus I really do like my current exist and I can't imagine parting with it or not using it.

Good luck with it mate :)

Mount a 30 dollar berkley holder in front of you. If necessary extend it with a bit of 19mm RHS aluminium.

Rear rod holders are useless for trolling, you can't see the rod, dont know when you have fouled the lure with weed etc

If you get a good fish it is awkward getting the rod out of the holder and turning the yak to a position to fight the fish.

What they are great for is stashing your landing net, put it next to the hip opposite your rod holding hand's side. Then its right there when you get the fish yakside, reach behind you and your in business.

mounting two scottie rod holders in front of you facing outwards is awesome for trolling, can easily watch the action on your rod tip and see when snagged or weeded up, easy to get to when hooked up !!

Archived