Well g'day fellas

Names Ryan, lived in Brisbane for 12 years now after leaving NZ in 99 - yeah I'm a kiwi sue me :P actually lived in Brisbane for longer than I lived in NZ as my family lived here till the start of my schooling, anywayyyyy

Have been a mad as fisherman for most of my life, grew up fishing the southern waters of NZ both fresh and salt water, chased big ass salmon and rainbow trout on fly line, fished the shelfs for snapper, blue fin and groper etc, was a open water diver and caught scallops the size of your hand in Nelson, chased Crayfish of the rocks in Kaikora..... loved my sport so much I decided to go commercial fishing :(

Thats where my love of fishing ended, fished on a day boat chasing flounder / cod / Gurnard / elephant fish / skate etc but after being first mate and only taking home $100 a week 15% of the catch (owner could never get quota) went on one of those big ass trawler ships chasing the Hoki up and down cook strait

TimCuff-Independent1d.jpg

Spent a few months on this when it was new, wow like 17 years ago (how time flies) but grew tired of the 6hrs on 4hrs off roster, was like working 3 days every 24hrs.

Anyway getting the bug back again, went out and brought a cheapish rod n reel combo and some tackle and tried my hand at catching something localy, sadly due to me not knowing the local spots or even the correct rigs or bait failed.

Now not to get disheartend on my first attempt figured I'd put a question out to y'all....

Is there anyone out there keen to show me areas (not your spots, unless you feel the need) rigs and baits etc? I have a patrol 4x4 so can go anywhere, live in Redland Bay so have water access pritty close ;)

Really keen to learn again

Also planning a trip to Morton later this year (just putting that out there)

Cheers guys

Ryan

Welcome to AFO Ryan.

Right near you is a member by the username rayke1938.

Ray is one of the nicest guys on AFO so give him a holla,I am sure he will be able to help you out.

The Independent 1 is a great looking rig,I wouldn't mind skippering that one for a few years.

When I got out of commercial fishing it took me about 5 years to want to go fishing again but the bug has now bitten again and I am slowly getting keen to get back into it.

Getting past that notion that fishing is work has been the hardest part but now its great to go offshore because I want to and not because I have to.

I also don't miss the 100 hours plus a week being flogged around on the ocean in horrific conditions all the time.

Anyway the guys on here will certainly help you get back into it.

Lance

Archived