motor leaking oil...please help!

tazzy.

Just went to the shed to get the boat ready for tomorrow and found an oil leak. :( It's a 2 stroke 30hp yamaha, only 2 years old. I'm pretty sure it's gear box oil but don't know a great deal about boat motors. Have I done a seal or is the hole its leaking out an over flow (if so why??). I have had the motor serviced once about a year ago and have not checked/changed the fluids since. Ive attached photos of the leak!

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers!!! tazzy!!

post-11077-144598836015_thumb.jpg

post-11077-144598836023_thumb.jpg

The oil is fairly clean, it doesnt smell like 2 stroke oil or petrol. I'm pretty sure it's not an exhaust port.

You can see in the pic the hole it is coming from maybe someone can clarify?

I also had a bit of trouble starting it last time out but after I warmed it up started first pull all day.

oh yeah i see the pocs now. :blink: ,thats wierd for it to be comin out of there,drive sharft seal could be gone ,it is situated under the impeller housing, the only reason it should be comin out of there is if gear box is way over full or you store it with the leg tilted up,either way the seal sounds rooted...you need to get rid of that bloody eskimo :lol:

Thanks for the replies. So I guess that means no fishing tomorrow.

The motor has been in the same position since I flushed it last week. I thought it was a wierd place to be leaking. Its only about 16mths old and still in warranty...should be covered eh?

hey guys thought id give an update. Got the boat in to get fixed at stones corner marine.The service was great and they fixed it up on warranty no problems! As mick said it was a leak from the drive shaft seal, Thanks for the diagnosis guys! Now piss off wind so I can get it on the water!

hey guys thought id give an update. Got the boat in to get fixed at stones corner marine.The service was great and they fixed it up on warranty no problems! As mick said it was a leak from the drive shaft seal, Thanks for the diagnosis guys! Now piss off wind so I can get it on the water!

AMEN

Archived