Fished Shorncliffe today (but need help)

arand18

Went out today on the newly built kayaks, first time on the kayaks, this is also the first time really trying to catch fish with soft plastics and lures because before i haven't really bothered with them as every time i use them i have no results, we started trolling along the flats to the mouth then trolled to a near by boat ramp just behind the marina, flicked an atomic hardz close to the structure with nothing so then continued trolling up the river, put a berkley 3inch minnow gulp on a 1/12 tt jig head to flick into the flats, had 1 bite on the soft plastic but didn't hook up, paddled a bit more down the creek and did a bit more flicking with what i think was another bit as the tail of the soft plastic was gone. We then started trolling again to where we started, I went back the the spot i first went to and flicked the soft plastic in the structure with nothing, I then put some worm on my bait fishing rod and as soon as it hits the water i have a bite, with worm hooked up to 2 fish but busted me off every time, when the worm had gone i resorted to flicking the soft plastic and the atomic hardz in the structure with nothing not even a hit, by this time is was 1 o clock in the afternoon so decided to call it a day. So could someone tell me what im doing wrong or have any tips that I could use as im despite to catch a fish not on bait.

the gear im using are 3 2-4 kg graphite rods 2 of them are shimano Mexican fire raider and the other is a shimano drop shot rod, i have 1000 to 2000 size reels all spooled up with 6lb berkley firleline crystal with about a rod length of 4lb fluorocarbon leader except for the bait rod.

thanks guys for your help

Keep trying! I find the lighter I fish the more hits I get. Make sure you cast real tight up to the structure, Because the fish hold up real tight to it. Just keep persisting! Atomic hardz work well I've caught flattys and bream on them... So you've got the right gear and idea just keep at it matey.

Nick

Keep trying! I find the lighter I fish the more hits I get. Make sure you cast real tight up to the structure, Because the fish hold up real tight to it. Just keep persisting! Atomic hardz work well I've caught flattys and bream on them... So you've got the right gear and idea just keep at it matey.

Nick

Thanks Nick, how long should I work 1 area with my lure at a time before I move on to another area, thanks

Happy to help mate. I usually have a few casts right up to the snag or in the strike zone. So 5 or so casts and if no hits I'll move on. If I get a hit then I'll give a couple more casts.

This works for me, but I'm sure the boys on here have a few more tips and techniques to help you out :)

Good luck!

Archived