Mullet At Colleges Crossing

Zagar

G'day guys,

Can anyone advise as to what type of Mullet you catch at Colleges Crossing? I've recently starting fishing again and have been checking all the rules and regulations regarding Mullet.

I've tried doing a search in multiple different forums however I haven't been able to find an answer. From what I can see in my last session there all I managed to catch were small Sea Mullet (and I don't want to be using one of them as bait because of the size limit).

Is anyone able to advise what they've managed to catch? Is it worth going somewhere else to get bait?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Zagar

Mate that is actually a great question.

Sea mullet are 30cm as you no doubt have checked.

However must people love using "poddy mullet" as bait at much smaller sizes. To be honest, telling these mullet apart is a tough one. I am pretty sure a lot of people just assume a 10cm mullet are a poddy but I am sure many a sea mullet has been rigged up because of the difficulty (or lack of bother).

I would also love to here if anyone has a sure fire way to tell a juvenile sea mullet from another species.

Angus

11 hours ago, Zagar said:

G'day guys,

Thanks for the replies. It always seems to be a bit of a sticky topic. I think I'll just use the advice in your link Old Scaley. If I can't identify I'll just throw it back.

Cheers,

Zagar.

Not a bad philosophy at any time. It is interesting how often you see anglers on Facebook/social media/forums etc holding up clearly dead fish asking for a species ID hahaha. Always results in a good grilling.

Mullet are a tough one though still in my eyes. Very hard to tell.

Angus

Archived