Sneaky Day Off

samsteele115

I took a day off yesterday because I wanted to go fishing :) . The bay forecast wasn't great in the morning so I did some domestic chores and headed off around midday for a solo session. As good as it is fishing with mates and sharing catches together, fishing by yourself is pretty hard to beat. You can make all your own decisions and not worry about what the other person might be thinking. 

So I headed across the bay and it was fairly quiet compared to the last couple of outings where loads of tuna were seen in numerous places. Not a thing in these places. I saw a couple of little splashes and decided to investigate and this is what I found. 

sounder.jpg

I dropped down a plastic to dead stick and dropped a slug down on my lighter combo thinking they were mackerel. I was wrong! This thing went faster than a mackerel and thankfully the fish pulled hooks before I got spooled on my 8lb gear. I then started to wind in my plastic and got hit straight away as soon as I moved it. This was on my tuna gear so I was able to boat the fish no problem at all after a very fast couple of runs! Fat fish. 12953257_10154237677364411_427719094_o.jpg

Long story short I did 8 drifts of this area and picked up 8 fish... They were all mac tuna and most of them were beasts at around the 90cm mark. The biggest was just shy of a metre and a new PB for me. It was a helluva lot of fun!

12962453_10154237677189411_1625417575_o.jpg

I eventually got bored of hooking fish after fish every drop so decided to go chase a school of longtail that I saw popping up nearby... I had success but unfortunately no longtail were boated. There seemed to be mac tuna mixed in with them as I hooked up to another 3. 

All in all it was an awesome few hours spent with 11 tuna hooked and 6 boated. My back is feeling it today! Those fish go so hard!

Cheers,

Sam.

Wow, now that's an action packed session!!!  Given the good forecast I was hoping to duck out today and tomorrow during the middle of the day (in between daycare dropoff and pickup) around the Hope Banks area in search of mackerel however my recurring shoulder/neck issue has returned so am in a bit of pain (although the physio today cleared a lot of it).  So will see how I am in the morning - otherwise I'll tick off a few light jobs around the house and aim for an early start on Sunday morning.

Oh and I know what you mean about solo fishing - given the hours I've fished since having kids I've mostly fished solo and it's kinda hard inviting my brother knowing things will be 'different' ....... ;)

Mackerel have been very scattered. Starting to leave the bay I think but there are definitely a few spotties around and of course schoolies. I've actually had encounters with the spanish variety 2 out of the last 3 trips which has been pretty cool. Old member Tunafreak was out yesterday as well and I saw him get a 1.2m broadbar. It was epic.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Ok, Sam, just stop it! You know some of us have to work, right? You are killing us with these great reports. Another epic trip. Well done. Hoping to get out this weekend so leave a few for me, please.

Thanks. I paid for it though having to do an 11 hour day today at work to catch up! They are still swimming around, all released in good condition :)  

A top afternoon out, Sam.

I find fishing solo you can try things you have always thought of without the any pressure. I fish better and get in the zone when solo, but sharing PB captures with mates/kids is hard to beat. 

It's just different.

look forward to seeng the weekend reports when I get back next week. Weather looks good 

I fish solo a lot of the time, and love it! But often find I fish better(or at least the boat does) when with someone else.

I went out today, absolute perfect weather. Could not find LTs or mackerel anywhere, or at least I could, but couldn't raise them. Found bait at all the usual haunts, but hugging close to the bottom. Just one of those days.

Thats a shame they didn't play the game for you. I am slightly concerned because longtail numbers in the last week or so have really dropped from all reports plus I didn't see many on this trip. About this time last year they disappeared out of the bay, at least this season has been better. I just hope they hang around for another month or two yet... The winter tuna run last year was almost non existent. 

Archived