Squid Prep...

bersim

Hey guys, tomorrow I'm heading out chasing a few squid in the southern bay and I'm just wondering how everyone keeps them before killing them.  Does keeping them alive right up until they die ensure that the meat is as tender as possible?  Or does it not matter if they are dead for a few hours before preparing them.  Just want to know the best way as they were a little bit tough last time after being dead for an hour or so.  

James

Did you have them on ice last time or just in a bucket of water? Also, I'm assuming you scored them (ie. small cuts in them)? Apparently putting them in a bowl with some kiwi fruit tenderises them.  Google it if interested - I'm not sure how long you leave it for and I'm assuming you mash the kiwi fruit up.  Haven't tried it but have heard of it numerous times.  Good luck on the squid.

I usually keep them in the live bait well till i get hoem and they're still alive. Cant't get any fresher than that. Yes the em-zines in the Kiwi fruit tenderize the squid, an 1-2 hours is is enough. If you leave it to long the squid will be just mush as it break downs.

We prepare 95% of our squid in rings and then crumb them. As soon as the crumbs become golden they are out sometimes only 30 seconds.

Good luck and keep in touch tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, lanks said:

Not sure on the difference it makes as to when they are dispatched  but i believe the cooking is where they can become tough.  I cook them for 1 minute each side and no longer or they become tough.

And make sure the pan is really hot when you put them in 

Thanks for all the tips guys.  We don't have any kiwi fruit so will have to try keeping them as fresh as possible and cooking them very quickly at a high heat.  Definitely have to try that technique when we have some though.  

We had them in the live well except it turned off and they died @kmcrosby78.  We put them on ice after getting them out of the water though.  

I'll make sure I spray Dad in the face with them then if that makes them so much more tender :P @samsteele115  That's quite possibly one of the greatest photos ever hahaha. 

Sounds good Wayne.  I'll let you know how we're going.  Probably just fishing for squid in the morning and then depending on how that's going maybe some bream in the shallows.  @Luvit.

James

Milk helps And I sometimes crumb but also like to BBQ. Do not waste the heads. Best bit :)

Also I generally kill and put on ice now. I never used to but it makes cleaning them easier as they have not been sitting in the live well generating more ink!

Angus

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

How do you cook/prepare the heads Angus? Whole, half, eyes in or removed? I kept them for bait but there is a fair bit of flesh on them so think I'll mostly eat them in future, unless I think I'll be targeting better snaps or jewies.

To good for bait :P

When you pull the cartilage out of the head the eyes and everything else come with it. Just remember to pull the beak out as well. It just pops out.

I usually just soak them in milk with the rest and BBQ. The heads are juicier and in my opinion the best part.

They make an amazing steak topper...

2.jpg

Another really easy way to use the heads is stuffing the tubes. For this you rip up some oily bread (turkish, ciabatta etc) and mix it with salt, olive oil, herbs of choice and the heads diced up. Then you stuff the tube with this mixture and BBQ them whole. Awesome.

3.jpg

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Looks great Gus. Do you find the milk taints the flavour of the squid? I thought it tasted a bit funny when I tried milk, so kiwifruit was the next option and it was great. 

I have never found that? Interesting. I would have thought kiwi would have made a much more noticeable taste difference!

For the record I do not do anything to the squid when stuffing it.

Angus 

26 minutes ago, Angus said:

Angus 

I hadn't read your previous reply so thought this comment was a bit random when read in the wrong order. Sort of sounded like you were defending yourself against 'allegations' ...... :whistle:  Sensational looking feast there Angus - I'll have to invite you round sometime for (/to cook me .....) dinner ......... :devil:

I found recently that the freshly caught squid that I cooked up a few hours after catching it was quite tough.

After letting it rest and cool in the fridge for 24 hours it was beautiful.

I cant be sure if it was the resting of the meat or the cooling for 24 hours that changed the texture - Probably a combination of both.

After catching the squid, they were dispatched immediately and then dropped into a cold esky. I think they would have been better off going into in icy slurry though. If they left to get really cold, they are much easier to clean and I think they will be tender straight away..

On 6/19/2016 at 3:20 PM, Angus said:

I have never found that? Interesting. I would have thought kiwi would have made a much more noticeable taste difference!

Angus 

Yeah i found it left the squid with a slightly grainy texture as well as a very slight dairy aftertaste. Might be more noticeable for me becuase I dont drink milk due to lactose not loving me. Kiwi no flavour I dont think, but even if there was a little bit I dont think it would be a bad thing. My observation anyway

Archived