Crankbait Success At Night

Madmic

It has been a while since I went out for a fish so when an old friend contacted me and said "I need to fish" how could I say no. He didn't finish work till 7pm last night so it was a late start and with my son coming along and the cool weather I thought we would stay close. Under Pine River Highway bridge we ended up. I had the cast net and some fresh mullet for bait. 

My mate Nick and my son's lines were already rigged for bait and they wasted no time in dropping them in. My rod however was rigged with a small crankbait but I figured what the hell.

Second cast was the first little flattie. My son instantly said I want a lure! Nick was a little more reserved never having used lures before and thinking that we would be using bait I didn't bring my arsenal of lures with me. I found another small crankbait but it only dived to 1.2m which my son had a go at but in the end it was the one on my rod that did the damage (diving to 2m). 3 other fish were on but were lost at the boat :geek:, no monsters but they were hitting the lure hard! The action lasted about 45 minutes then it was just cold haha.

2016-07-30 20.47.50.jpg

2016-07-30 21.18.08.jpg

2016-07-30 21.30.33.jpg

Nice work! They fight real well in the shallows. Nice to see some pine river flathead caught on hard body lures.

I was wanting to get down there Friday evening. Even had the boat hitched up but my mate pulled the pin last minute and I lost the urge to go solo at night.

Thanks Panther. I'm going to hit the river again tomorrow to try and catch a few more. Usually do well on hard bodies down there. Will be at Deepwater Bend ramp at 5am bbrrrr. Will start with some surface lures and see what happens.

Don't blame you for the lost urge, was pretty cold!

Madmic

Archived