Anyone Used The Gulp Saltwater Ghost Shrimp

Sallto

Gulp can be excellent fish takers.

The biggest thing with Sp fishing is to get the hook dead centre and straight, s it does not spin. The next thing is to use the just enough weight jig head for the SP to slowly float down to fish. If fishing a shrimp or prawn try imitating the slow drop of a prawn swimming down and a small flick as if was flicking its tail to evade a predator.

Perseverance is the key. You can fish Gulp like bait as well just leave it on the bottom.

Good advice Luvit. When i started using sp's i wasn't having much luck, so I got my gear together and went to my pool and cast in to watch what they were doing. No wonder i wasn't catching any fish they would have to swim like Micheal Phelps to get them. I was able to watch how they worked and slowed my fishing down, after I was happy that I could flick a Sp and work it properly I went to my fav spot and Hooked up after about the 3rd cast, since then I've not used anything else but Sp's and my fishing has improved as well. Good luck Pete.

Great tip Pete.

I'm lucky to have a pool and do the same with jigs, hard bodies etc The actions can differ a lot from what you expected when you picked it off the shelf in the tackle shop.

A SP should be working on the way up and down. If you have not enough weight the tail won't work and too much weight  and it doesn't look natural as it plummets down like a sinker. 

Thanks for the tip.  How do they go when the tide is really running. The estuary i fish really cracks up quite a current and i found my sp would drift from the spot i cast to back level with me and continued to bounce along the bottom...surely this affects its action

If the current is really cranking then fish the tide changes when it slows down.

Sometimes if the tide is running to fast it becomes to hard to present a SP naturally. In these cases chose another method. You can drop shot SP on to a main line and let the current do the work. Use a patternoster rig and tie a SP on a the top dropper and use a bait on the bottom hook, double your chances.

19 hours ago, Sallto said:

Thanks for the tip.  How do they go when the tide is really running. The estuary i fish really cracks up quite a current and i found my sp would drift from the spot i cast to back level with me and continued to bounce along the bottom...surely this affects its action

If the tide is cranking then i usually do one of a few things.....

Match the boat speed to the current and cast  ahead of the drift on an angle, there will be a sweet angle where this will work and takes some trial and error with head weights to get right.

Look for anything on the bank that will disrupt the current and create a back eddie or current line. Fish love hunting in these spots and can be easier to fish also.

If you have a bit of depth say 5m+ and the current is ripping I like to fish the plastic vertical and match the boat speed to the current, an electric is really helpful to correct for wind etc. You don't have to do much with the plastic except hover it say 50cm off the bottom. If you have a side imaging sounder use it to mark trees etc or it can get a bit expensive. 

Archived