Seq Native Orchids - A Bush Trip Report

Glenn S

G'day guys, so this ones going to be a bit different to my usual bass related reports. I have recently found i have quite an interest in native orchids and have been enjoying getting out in the bush looking for them. The first time i went on an 'orchid mission' i went for a walk up to purlingbrook falls at springbrook, now this was a great walk but in terms of spotting orchids i didn't see much at all aside from a couple of native cymbidiums. I have since realised i have a much better chance looking on google maps (much like when i try to find new bass water) and trekking into unknown bush to find them. Hot spots generally seem to be along creek lines and up on the ridge tops of mountains where the rock is exposed. I injured my left knee a couple of weeks ago and have been unable to get out looking and now is prime time to see them flowering so i'm a bit annoyed of late! Anyway hopefully the knee gets better soon and i will leave you with photos from some of my finds. Hope you guys enjoy :)

Mods, if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move:)

Cheers and tight lines, Glenn.

20160716_105102.jpg

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0291a.jpg

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_9118.JPG

IMG_9134.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

I have had most of them in my collection when I was an avid collector but I see a few I havnt seen before. It is a great hobbie and keeps you fit. I used to go into the bush at 7am and not come out till 4pm sometimes, I would take 2 or 3 oranges with me and some water.Have you been able to name them all.

Dino

Yep i have had a few long days out in the bush. i was surprised how quickly time went out there by myself. I pack my 3 litre hydro pack and a few muesli bars and my camera of course. I have been able to put a name to most aside from the 'pencil orchid' which is some form of dockrillia i believe or some people know them as dendrobiums. i think my favourites would have to be either the speciosums or the tetragonums. There is an orchid called bulbophyllum globuliforme that i would like to find, it grows at the tops of hoop pines so i need to find a fallen one to be in with a chance. I have read they are the smallest flowering orchid in Australia. 

Cheers, Glenn.

23 hours ago, Glenn S said:

Yep i have had a few long days out in the bush. i was surprised how quickly time went out there by myself. I pack my 3 litre hydro pack and a few muesli bars and my camera of course. I have been able to put a name to most aside from the 'pencil orchid' which is some form of dockrillia i believe or some people know them as dendrobiums. i think my favourites would have to be either the speciosums or the tetragonums. There is an orchid called bulbophyllum globuliforme that i would like to find, it grows at the tops of hoop pines so i need to find a fallen one to be in with a chance. I have read they are the smallest flowering orchid in Australia. 

Cheers, Glenn.

Pencil orchids are usually Dendrodium Terettolium,plenty around Canungra,Bulbophyllum Globuliforme I have only found in one place  near Marom Falls out from Lismore, best left  where they are as very hard to keep at home.

Is the third and sixth pic of xmas orchids calanthe triplicata or geordum pictum pink nodding hoods. Where did the name dockrillia come from, its a new one I havnt seen.

Dino

@Dinodadog Thanks for the comments Dino, yep i don't plan on taking any, just love seeing them in situ! Yes i believe it is calanthe triplicata. I am a member of a few orchid groups on facebook and some people have called them dockrillias. Type it into google and you will see. I think the correct name is dendrobium.

Cheers, Glenn.

Archived