Poisoning a River

planetfonz

well these are interesting times.. we are locked out of certain 'green' areas etc.. lots of do's and do nots...

In january, tilapia were found up north in Eureka Creek.. they responded to it with this statement Q - We are using electro-fishing techniques to reduce the population. At the moment electro-fishing is the only control mechanism available to us.

“Options such as killing the fish using rotenone (poison) cannot even be considered as this is a flowing river system and such methods are likely to be ineffective and possibly harmful to other marine life.

quite a strong no there, and here -->http://www.invasiveanimals.com/invasive-animals/fish/tilapia/index.html

good plan but seems things have changed, the tilapia are winning.. for now - todays courier mail..

[img size=150]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/planetfonz/Image2.jpg

not sure how i feel about that.. is it really possibly to get all the natives out?.. wouldnt barra smash the crap out of tilapia?

wheres doctor karl when he's needed

no matter what happens, if they eliminate them there for now, they will be back again soon. as to the person who first released a tilly into aussie waters... hmmm... :angry: :evil:

they did this over in the states to eliminate pest fish - the river system totally collapsed as they also kill shrimp and other food sources for larger predators, not to mention having an adverse effect on weeds which suck up some of the poison - only to be released again later. yeah, i am totally against it. WOFTAM if you ask me.

Go gotta take your hat off to these eco terrists bozo's.. the number of bugs and other shit introduced into this country to combat a pest resulting in only creating bigger menace..

Take the cane toad introduced to get rid of the cane beetle... what a raging sucess that turned out to be. (mind you as a kid I did my bit to eradicate them with the slug gun. Countless hours of fun around the irrigation canals near bundy.

Now theyve spread into NT and are wiping out all sorts of predatory species..

Well done science geeks!!!!!

fonz,the only good thing I could see on the courier page was the bar fridge for $199.

Once more a so called solution, chemicals,that sooner or later end up in your water systems.30 odd years ago DDT,was the B all&end all,what an enviromental,and health problem it turned out to be.

I think damming the river temporarily to prevent the spread is a good idea.

I think the electrofishing is a good idea.

What I can't understand is why they would take the natives away and poison the tillies. Why wouldn't they just take the tillies away and leave the natives and poison alone ?

thats a good point tho.. with my old green severum cichlids at home, getting them to breed was sorta easy, watching them protect 500 bubs is enjoyable.. trying to get the bubs out without destroying the whole tank was impossible.. i'd assume the tillapia would breed in a similar fashion

I read that article today and I think they want to poison the entire 5km stretch of creek and the daming is only to stop the poison going too far.

If that's the case that stretch of creek will take a long time to recover.

I reckon they should poison the idiot who introduced those fish in the first place.

Archived