Monster Murray Cod

Tom B

Well friday finally rolled around after booking in 5 months ago, the 4 of us were up and rolling by 6am and after 400kms and 5 hours on the road we arrived at Pinehurst station, just outside of Emmaville in the northern NSW tablelands. After a quick chat with Clark we unpacked the gear and preceded to rig the rods for the afternoon session. No fish were landed that afternoon and the nocturnal attempt with surface lures was also ignored much to our disapointment.

The next morning I was up before sunrise, grabbed the gear and headed to the boat for an early morning flick, after about an hour with no action i turned to trolling which saw a nice little 40cm cod in the boat before some quick pics and he was released in good nic.

No more action was seen after that so it was time for some breakfast before a mid morning session walking the banks of dam no# 2, casting a bassman spinnerbait in double colorado blade with a black and lime green skirt saw my second fish of the trip at 60cm landed, another good looking and healthy fish of roughly 8 lb was released to be caught again.

During lunchtime we decided to go for a drive out through Glenn Innes for a pit stop on our way out to Pindari Dam, a quick beer at the Ashford commercial saw us back at the cabin by 3.30pm.

That evening we worked hard for nil result except for a surface strike on my boof frog which failed to stick.

Sunday morning I had a bit of a sleep in and i woke to find andrew had caught his first of the trip, a nice 60cm cod.

Once agian no fish were seen during the middle of the day but by 4.30 I had my third, again on the black spinnerbait, he went 65cm and was a fat 12lb. As the sun went down our attempts at top water were thoroughly ignored until a small fish hit Andrews night crawler, only to release itself at the bank, oh well

Monday morning saw us all on the water early, with Andrew being rewarded with a healthy 70cm cod caught in the main lake, I soon followed with a 62cm cod landed walking the banks in dam no# 2.

Tally - Team fish - Tom 4 fish, 40, 60, 62 and 65

Andrew 2 fish 60, 70 and one relaesed at the bank

Team zero - Malcolm 0

Pete 0

And although team zero didn't hook a fish, they were constanly reminded they were there as big cod could be seen cruising along the banks.

Reading through the guest book see's names such as Jamie Flett, Andrew Ettinghausen and Neil Schultz having good succes there, and one day i hope to have my photo on the wall holding a 40lb cod.

Thanks

First photo is the view of the main lake from the cabin [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P2270001_AFO.jpg

post-136-144598486865_thumb.jpg

Jimmy, when we called to book there were 2 spots left this season and that particular weekend suited us best, the season runs from december to may as the cod are rested before they spawn so id call Clark asap to book for the next season.

Wolfr, very nice spot, and as far as i'm concerned the cod were a bonus

Mangler, very happy with the cod, and we will be back next year to chase a 1m+ and try and fix those donuts

Archived