Top Water Master

brandan1034

Hey guys,

After reading and hearing alot about the Towadi, a small walk the dog lure, i finally purchased one. The first 6 casts i was amazed at how amazing the action was, so easy to work. On the 7th casttho it got smashed by a fish, big small i dont know all i saw was a flash of silver. Anybody else used these lures before? Would be interesing to see what people have caught on them. Also, what pound leader hs been used? I was using 3lb and this probably contributed to losing the fish as the lure got monstered when it was hit.

Brandan

yeah i have had great success on the bass using prial pencil surface lure , its a walk the dog style as well, i love using them as its heart attack fishing and the strikes are so aggressive ,,, i like it when your casting away and your mind starts to wander then BAM :ohmy: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,great stufff lol

difficult to go to heavy on a towadi as they are such a light lure - too heavy line/leader and you won't be able to cast as far. I would suggest upping to 6lb, then if the fish are shying away start downsizing the leader. you can always expect to lose a few lures when fishing light, but the catch rate usually keeps a smile on your face

I assume you are using monofilament and not fluorocarbon for your leader on your surface lures? mono floats, fluoro sinks - the mono will give a better action on a top water lure.

marty

Really? That heavy a leader when using fluorocarbon? I have 3lb, 4lb, 6lb and 10lb leader and i only use the 10lb when going after large flatty or around sersious structure. I have alwasys used fluorocarbon as a leader even when fishing surface and ive never had a problem with it dragging the lure under. Also i usully have a leader of about 1.5m to allow for line loss doe to lure changes and abbrasion near the jighead/lure.

hey brandon,

i use mostly 4lb fluro for surface fishing and havent been snapped off yet. but maybe try 6 lb for peace of mind. also if you are using fluro for a leader with surface lures, try rubbing bit of vasilene or squidquies s-factor on the the leader. this will help it float and improve the action of the lure

• 2 years later...

I used to use 4lb mono straight to the lure, before switching to braid for a while. Sure it casts well but the price puts me off. back to mono for me! 8lb for the larger bass we have in our systems since the flood, will add a fluro leader for sub surface.

they are right in suggesting a mono leader for surface lures, you will notice a much improved action as it does not sink like fluro. Good luck all!

Archived