New on the scene

ryanyoung

G'day there all.

I am new to the scene of fishing, having being introduced to it by a mate whilst at Tweed Heads several days ago, and I find that I am addicted to it now! I went out and bought myself a rod and some tackle, however find that I don't know that much about the whole fishing thing! Are there any books or something I need to get my hands on, to increase my knowledge, oh, and what is a jig/jighead? What method of fishing is good for the brisbane river? What bait is good?

Thanks for the time fellas, look forward to some hints and tips!

Ryan

Welcome to the site mate.

Have a good read through the forum as there is a wealth of information here. More than most books!

For example there are stacks of Brisbane River reports in the appropriate section so have a look through these as it may open your eyes to what is on offer locally.

A jig head is a hook with a lead sinker attached to it. These come in different sizes and are used for attaching a soft plastic lure to.

Cheers.

Angus

Hello Ryan,

this is my first time in here as well.

Seems like everyone is wishing you well but not giving you any specific advice.

My advice... the best way to learn is get fishing as often as you can and try and learn as you go along. Buy a fishermans almanac from a bait shop - small book that lists moon phases and good times to fish...so you fish at the best time.

Pick a place to fish and target a species and select bait for that species. Here is one thing to try... go to cabbage tree point... on a rising tide in the afternoon. Get some soldier crabs off the beach beside the ramp... fish to the side of the ramp for bream and whiting and flathead. You can also buy worms, prawns etc at the boat hire shop...

the more time you spend fishing the more you will learn... Take some drives around the place and expore good places to wet a line..

I fished in that area on Easter Saturday (from a boat) and caught a 37cm whiting, a flathead and few smaller whiting...(pic attached)

Good luck

Thanks everyone for the introductory posts. Some good info in there and its good to meet you all. I am a local of Bulimba so I am mostly floating around that area. It would be great to catch up with some of you to rack your brains on this whole fishing thing. I reckon the biggest hurdle will be to recognise all the slang words for things in fishing, as this would make it a lot easier to understand fishing reports and the like. If any of you are going fishing on the southside, drop me a message if you feel like company. Note - I will be away for the next three weeks with work, but after that time it is game on.

Cheers.

Ryan

Mate welcome to the site firstly, my advice to u Ryan is not to restrict yourself to only bait fishing as soft plastics and hard body lures catch just as much if not even more fish B) As everyone else has stated, looking through past posts will give u a good footing on the basics.Good luck mate and Im sure u will have the best time fishing :woohoo:

Dean ;)

Archived