newstead trip

Jordan

on monday night i think it was, mitchq and i decided we would try our luck on the massive tide that we had seen early that morning at nudgee beach. the hi tide that night was at 12 pm, so there was plenty of time to set up and prepare. we arrived at around 9.30, to find the jetty already occupied by some messy fishermen. we prepared ourselve to fight till the death to win our right to use some of the jetty, but when we walked down there we laughed at the sight of terry and ben with one handline out, and alot of other rubbish all over the place. so we started netting, and as always, my beloved 12 foot bottom pocket did me proud. we had bait, and with the handlines out it was just a waiting game. at about 11 or so terry decided he had enough, and paked up and left, so it was just me ben and mitch left. i threw the net and started pulling it, when all of a sudden it started pulling bak. it diddnt last long before i pulled it up to find a great big hole in old ye faithful... what a terrible sight it was for my poor new net. anyway, that meant there were fish,and with the tide gettin pretty high i had high expectations i would have another encounter with some large fish in the net. i decided it mite be smart to throw some lines in the shallow areas, and so out went a 10lb and 6lb set up. at around 11.45, out went the net again, and again, the rope was pulling back ferociousley. i was determined to pin the balme on whatever fish this was for tearing my net earlier, it sure felt the same. as i pulled the net closer to the light the kicks became more violent, until i finally saw some colour. to everyones suprise it was a small salmon, around 2 kgs or so, its head poking out of another very large hole in my net, and i wanted to see this fish suffer from it :evil:. as leaned down to grab the fish from the water, it kiked even more and tore the hole bigger and bigger until it was finally landed. this was dinner for benny. after a wile we were getting pretty worn out, and decided to call it quits at about 1. it was while we were paking up that mitch's 10lb went off. we all predicted a bream, as he was using a small live prawn and it was very shallow, until it almost spooled the reel in a matter of seconds. mitch panicked, his pb was a 30 cm jew out of some bogan river, this was a far better fighting fish than he had ever encountered. i immediatley gave up hope and went back to packing up. after coming back from the car for a second load of stuff, i noticed mitch was still fighting this fish. i was very imppresed, and within 15mins, he was yelling that it was very close. as i leaned over the jetty with the gaff ready, we saw colour, and to our suprise, it was another salmon of around the same size. mitch was as happy as larry, and i couldnt believe how well he had done, i know i would have lost that fish, especially on the $5 4 year old reel he was using. so that was the night, i think we all had a pretty good time, except terry, dunno wot happened to him lol

Archived