Broadwater Wed 13 May

marty

Decided to go for a quick flick before work on Wednesday morning after seeing such a good forecast the day before - when the BOM mentions variable winds you know it is going to be good! Ended up being a solo as the other AFO members I asked/considered all had early starts.

Set the alarm early and was on the Broadwater by 5.30 - had roughly a 2 hour window before I had to bail and go to work. Flicked around a few rockwalls in the pre-dawn light for no luck, then moved over the the flats once the first bit of sunlight started to lighten the water.

Tide was just about all out, and the water temp was a cool 19 degrees so I was confident of finding a few fish on the edges. Concentrated on small drains and the nearby sand banks and the fish started to play.

With no wind it was easy to see and hear the Bream hitting bait on the surface and any cast close by generally drew a strike. They responded to surface lures, plastics and small hardbodies - it didn't seem to matter as long as the cast was in the zone.

By the time 7.30 ticked around I had landed half a dozen Bream (no real size) and 5 Flatties (to 50cm), plus a very greedy Grassy Sweetlip about 5cm long. Two Flatties became dinner and the rest released. No monsters boated, but plenty of fun and well worth losing a couple of hours sleep for. As you can see by the pics, the conditions were perfect and it was very hard to point the boat back to the ramp and head to work.

It is amazing how different these waterways are without the weekend crowds.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dawn.jpg

Archived