Strange looking fish??

Dusky

have cought diamond trevally before and the head didnt look like that and wasnt as heavily dark banded as that either. I am 99.9% sure that it is a pennantfish (spelling not sure) Iam lead to believe that it is a close relitive of the diomond trevelly but not an actual diomond trev but a pennantfish. A really special catch congratulations.

Mick from memory back in my Uni dayz the diamond Trev and Pennantfish are very often the same fish however from different areas.

That is, they, like so many other fish, suffer from varied nomenclature and also present differently based on their environ...

They are from the same family (Alectis), however being sperate species' of Indica and ciliaris.... their similar presentation often gets them confused in the juveniles more often, as the pennant fish does not grow as big as the DT..

yoyo wrote:

Mick from memory back in my Uni dayz the diamond Trev and Pennantfish are very often the same fish however from different areas.

That is, they, like so many other fish, suffer from varied nomenclature and also present differently based on their environ...

They are from the same family (Alectis), however being sperate species' of Indica and ciliaris.... their similar presentation often gets them confused in the juveniles more often, as the pennant fish does not grow as big as the DT..

cheers yoyo for the species names for both these fish. Yeah your right.

I did some research on these fish and found that the DT grows to 1.5mtrs and the pennantfish grows to 1.3mtrs. The pennantfish (ciliaris) looses the trailing filliments off the fin as it gets older unlike the DT (indicus) which retains the long filliment from the fin through out its life. Both these fish have very high juvenile survival rate as many preditors mistake the fish for a jellyfish because of the long tenticle like fins on the fish. Both the fish have the ability to swim on there side close to the surface of the water and by doing this as a school it makes the school of fish look like a bunch of jellyfish.

What a clever little fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thats awesome. That solved a couple of Fish ID's in one! My apologies on the false call. But to anyone that has seen one it looms a lot like a little Diamond Trev. I am assuming they are VERY closely related?

What would the home range be?

Angus

Archived