Klias River, Sabah

kiara_poltegerist

Hi guys.. Just some pictures to share. Angus was telling me that jacks are a very popular fish in Bris, so yea, here goes..

This river runs downstream of my boss's resort in Kota Klias, Sabah. We normally get jacks, tarpon, barramundi(notoriously hard to catch on rod and line, but they run into the nets easy), cod, black bass(never caught on rod and line but frequently on nets), queenfish, GTs and other brackish water species as well. It's soo good that Murakoshi-San, Daiwa Japan saltwater tester came to fish the area. In this river, including myself, probably only 5-10 ppl have fished this river with lures. We fished this river hard to see whether it was worth turning it into a charter area, but the river was too long and wide to fish properly. I fished the river 2 weeks at a stretch before, 7 days a week, but even then it was difficult to nail down fish patterns. All it'd need to screw up your day would be 30 minutes of rain to screw up everything downriver. The river is abt er.. 120km including all the bends and stuff, so yea. you get the picture.

The river is mostly pristine, and upriver it is a designated UN reserve area, so no hunting or commercial fishing is allowed. The area is very popular with tourists as they come to see the Proboscis monkeys and firelies, and sometimes the crocs.

Do forgive me if the photos are rather amateurish. This bit of fishing was done 2 years ago just before I started working with a sportfishing lure shop ;P.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/10 16:16

post-1023-144598411175_thumb.jpg

Brian D wrote:

Mate - that's cool - nice jack and trev's - nice spot too. Now about that sportfishing lure store - you got any samples? ;)

I like the look of the boat/canoe - what is it?

hi Brian. check your PM in 10 minutes from now.

The boat is my custom 16ft double hull fibreglass. We go up to 23 knots with a 18hp Tohatsu :D (speed according to Garmin ETrex)

What an awesome post.

Thanks for that mate.

I think this is a really good post for those people out there that like to over generalise.

By this i mean i have been hearing a lot lately that \"Asia has all been fished out etc etc\".

Obviously like anywhere places close to mass civilisation are effected worse than more remote areas. The location in the report looks like a paradise to me!!

Hope to fish it one day.

Angus

it's like he's looking you in the eye saying- \"got a problem mate?\"

that was the first thing that came to mind when i saw the pix lol.. mean fish! |respect| [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/mj3.jpg

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/10 17:05

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/10 17:06

post-1023-144598411245_thumb.jpg

juvenile barracuda.. we call em pests because they hit lures meant for other fish, and if you dont have a leader on, your lure is as good as gone. dislike em particularly when im using my tarpon setup lol- 8lb FC all the way. they cut through it in a flash.

why we call em pests, this is why - hehe. we get em up to 40+kgs popping. Caught this specimen popping out at Investigator reef, Spratley Islands. My man there is about 5'6\". [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/InvestigatorBarra.jpg

post-1023-144598411252_thumb.jpg

Archived