Fluorocarbon leader

I am just an amateur fisho so please bear with me!

I have a little 6ft6 3-5kg berkley attack wit a Abu garcia cardinal, 8 Lb stren braid for the bream/whiting/lizards

and a Berkly attack 8ft 5-8kg with shimano sienna 4000, 20lb mono.

I have been fishing the Brissy river for Bream, the southport seaway for whiting and lizards, and catching little squire off my dads 28ft yacht inside of green island (when I get the chance!).

I have heard that fluorocarbon leader increases you catch rate, especially in clear water, so I am determined to get some!

Just wondering what strength I should get, and how long should I make my leader?

I have bought some 16Lb FC Rock, but i think it may be too heavy for my purposes?? (don't know why I did?)

any help is much appreciated!

ps I use soft plastics and HB lures on the smaller outfit as well as bait occasionally. I mainly use bait on the heavier outfit and cast further out in hope of that bigger fish!

Thanks! :)

I love this website!

i use 6lb fc for brean up to 37 cm and anything busting me off i go 8lb. i use 20lb in 100 metres of water for big snapper. the lighter you go the more fish you will catch is wat i think.

pat

p.s you will get frustrated with bust offs but there will be lots of chances.

i rarely if ever use fluro, black magic tough trace in 20, 40 and 60 covers all of my mouth fishing basically

lot of night fishing anyway so doubt it makes a huge difference, i dont really notice catch rate going up on 20lb vs 60lb, i let the structure/location and target species dictate what leader im using and if its a mixed bag type of spot and threadies are reasonably expected its 40lb

cheers

Dan

I'd have to agree with both fishguru5 and Nadders on this one...

The lighter you go the better chance of a hook up on better quality fish and that again all depends on the terrain you are fishing.

There is no one size fits all, you have to take into consideration of all the factors at play.

Brett

I use Berkley Vanish Fluro for fishing for Bream with lures and plastics. But any fish I've caught thats over 50cm whether that be on lure or bait has been on Penn 10X leader which isn't fluro. Normally ranges from 20lb - 40lb. I find it has a lot of wear....especially for toothy critters

there is a difference in abrasion resistance between the bulk fluro spools meant as a mainline and the fluro leader material

no difference at all in visibility or whatever but the leader fluro's have a hard coating that the mainline fluros lack, something to be aware of.

Hey Sunny, I'm no expert by any stretch, but it sounds to me like you might be going a little bit heavy for the fish you're after. I use a 2-4kg rod with 6lb Berkley Fireline mainline and 10lb Berkley Vanish (flurocarbon) leader; for Bass and Golden Perch up to about 50cm (and a 62cm Saratoga), and since I changed to the 10lb leader from 6lb leader quite a few months ago I haven't had a break off. Both these line types are relatively cheap for what you get I think, especially the Vanish cos you get heaps of it.

And a lot of guys use even lighter gear than me for the same sort of fish. I think, and I've read that you're better off using as light gear as you can, not only cos it's harder for the fish to see, it allows your lures to move more naturally, and you can cast light line further, and it's cheaper too. And it's a bit more of a fun challenge to land a big fish on light gear.

So yeah, if you're chasing bream and whiting, which I'm guessing are not too big, 25-40cm?, then I'd recommend a leader of 6lb or 8lb Vanish. By the way, I think you asked about how much length too didn't you? - rule of thumb, go with a rods length or so.

Don't take my word for it though, cos I'm not a Bream/Whiting fisho.

Good luck.

-Steve.

I use Sunline Rock FC 6Pnd on my bream/whiting/lizard/everything else outfit and find it's great for both abrasion resistance and sensitivity. It is about $25 but comes on hundred yard spools i'm pretty sure.

Yes, I have also caught plenty of fish on mono leaders also, so it's just down to personal preferance.

Due to it's chemical makeup, flurocarbon is pretty much invisible under the water, then again so is most mono.

Just my thoughts

Archived