Where is the tide measured at Brisbane Bar ?

fergie

hi all.

i have a question that might seem a bit strange but does anyone know where the tide leve

for the brisbane bar, is measured from, (so when they say it's a high tide at 2.4mtrs, where is that measured from). someone has asked me this question and i have no idea why they want to know but i thought i would put it out there to see if anyone does know.

:huh:

Height Reference Datum All elevations within the reference frame are relative to the Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT). The elevation of this datum was calculated from tidal predictions, in accordance with its definition, in the mid 1980’s. Because the LAT is the navigation chart datum for Australian waters, it will be incorporated into the reference frame at its present elevation.

Thats all i could find, bit of a mouthful but makes sense...

Basically measured from the lowest tide prediction posible in aussie waters..

Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT): The lowest tide level which can be predicted to occur under average meteorological conditions and under any combination of astronomical conditions. Increasingly used as chart datum, for example, for all new Australian charts.

hey Fergie this is the only help full info I could find this is a link to all the australian tide guages used by the BOM hope it helps. they must have a way of working it out as for the exact location of the brisbane bar is it not NW of Moreton???

/>http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/projects/abslmp/data/index.shtml

I would think there is some kind of height sensor on a buoy somewhere close by?

So if the lowest tide (Lat) was measured at 5 meters depth at the buoy, then everything above that would be tide movement.So if the sensor measured 7.1 meters depth at high tide then that's a 2.1 meter tide.

Just guessing around, because the reference point would also change, because the depth will vary with sand build up and removal over time.

Unless the height is offset from sea level, then you would be measuring fluctuations in height, not the actual depth.

:blink::blink::blink:

my 2c

Cheers

Archived