In the market for a new camera

Ashhley

Hey guys im in the market for a new camera, ive been looking at the digital SLRs as im looking at doing photography as a hobbie with my fishing... any suggestions on wat to buy, my price range is around the $1000 mark for a twin lense kit

cheers

The Canon Eos450D twin lens kit (18-55 & 55-250) is a great kit for the price. I have seen it recently for just over your price tag but you should be able to barter down a price at JB or WOW. If not, the 1000D is still a nice unit but once you start getting into it, you will probably wish you had paid a little bit more for the 450

My advice is to stay with Canon or Nikon. If you start to get into it you will end up buying lenses and acessories and will eventually be limited with other brands. Putting good lenses on an entry level camera body will still give you some awesome results, and you will still be able to use them if you decide to upgrade later.

Another alternative to the twin lens kit is to just buy a body and have a look at some of the 18 to 200 telephoto lenses.

I have a canon rebel dlsr fitted with a sigma lens and am very happy with its performance.

I purchased from the states on ebay about 4 years ago.

I dont take it out in the boat for my fishing photos i just use a olympus stylus swp.

Cheers

Ray

I think most brands on the market have very good DSLR's (except maybe Olympus) and you can buy quality OEM and aftermarket lenses for all of them. Best advice is to go into a shop and hold all of them in your price range to see which is most comfortable and easiest to get to the main controls. The mid and high range cameras in each brand generally have a similar feel just a bit more bulk. Also make sure that the body uses the same lens mount as the higher end bodies, I think it is only Nikon that have an issue with their entry level bodies and lens compatability (some have focus motor on body and others have it in the lens).

Personally i am using a Canon 50D with Sigma and Tamson lenses and am getting very good results. As much as I would like to own some L glass I don't think it is necessary.

Personally I'd stick to Nikon or Canon, just simply for more choice. I chose Canon because most of my friends have Canons and we often swap/resell gear. There isn't much in it quality wise between any of the brands these days (ie you get what you pay) but it's alot easier tracking down 2nd hand gear for the two main brands.

Any particular reason for the preference of a twin lens kit? IMHO they'll become paperweights after a month of using the camera. You'd be better off mid-term if you got the 17-85mm and/or 50mm 1.8 to begin with. Both are fairly cheap and you'll keep them in your kit for longer than the ones you get with the twin lens kit.

thanks guys for the info, also i was looking on the canon website nd i saw the canon coolpics camera, its not a DSLR but it has 15x zoom and a lense kinda like the slrs just cant change them, would it be worth looking into 1 of these also...

Archived